1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pastor, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This seems very intriguing as well. Looks like I'll place this and Cask on the map. How will they feel about my Yankees hat? ;)

After the game, I'll be hitting some more locations, so Beer Works seems like a good spot.

My wife has already looked into and set us up at a Legal Seafood for lunch. So, I'm glad to hear good things about that location.

I'll make a note of Newburry Street. My wife loves shopping, so unique stores are of interest.

Are there are any comments on the Quincy market?

Wicked, thanks for the heads up on Boom's suggestion of "Triple Os". I doubt I would actually end up with my ass-kicked, but it is nice to know about certain locations.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree about Redbones.

Good atmosphere -- especially Underbones, the bar downstairs where you can also eat.

But the barbeque there is VERY overrated. There's much better BBQ in Boston. Blue Ribbon in Arlington and W. Newton, Firefly's in Framingham, the Village Smokehouse in Brookline -- the food is better at all those places (though Blue Ribbon is pretty much a takeout).

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

exactly....too many pink hats in there now.

If you want some great steak tips, and antipasto......venture over to Chelsea and go to the Newbridge Cafe.

Orange vinyl booths, 70 year old waitresses named Flo, a combination of postmen and iron workers at the bar.....but awesome steak tips.

Plus its in my 'hood.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Floramo's ... where, as the late, great Bill Marlowe said, "THE MEAT ... FALLS OFF ... THE BONE!"

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

No you'll be alright, just tell them you know Whitey.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Ate once at Durgin Park (near city hall), good meal.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Talking about Whitey will get your ass kicked in Southie nowadays. If you say you know Whitey, everyone will think you're with the feds. Trust me, I'm from there.

(Pastor, you wouldn't get your ass kicked at Triple O's in all likelihood, but it's a neighborhood bar, much like Murphy's Law, another Southie staple, that doesn't like its foreigners.)

Patchs, Durgin Park ain't bad, but it's also pretty touristy. I don't even know how late they're open on Sundays. Actually, the prices aren't too bad by Boston standards, though.

8. For god's sake, man, stay away from Quincy Market. Overpriced, touristy and, except for the venerable Black Rose, full of very mediocre saloons.
    X-hack -- We agree to disagree on Redbones. And Blue Ribbon, which I've given a number of chances, hasn't learned how to cook its meat all the way through yet.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

But if the woman is with him and likes shopping, Quincy Market at least would provide her with some shopping to go with the history.

10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I have not been to Boston in about 5 years but I have 2 places that I really like. If you have time for a burger during the day try Mr and Mrs Bartley's in Cambridge near Harvard Square. I think I have the name right...it is a pretty neat place with some retro charm. Also in Charlestown I really like the Warren Tavern. Paul Revere was a regular there, George Washington stopped there, it is a really nice spot with what I believe is the best Clam Chowder I have ever eaten. I believe they have a web site...warrentavern.com. Enjoy Boston, it is my favorite city to visit, lots of history and lots of great food.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Quincy Market is on the wife's list. She's never been up to Boston and while it has been too long to remember for me, I let her choose what she is most interested in doing.

I will mention to her your description though.

12. Negotate a pint or two at the Rose, and you've made the best of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted