1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pastor, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For a nice neighborhood pub try "Triple O's" in South Boston .

2. You have to go to either Cask n Flagon or Cooperfields when going to Fenway.

Who's On First would be my third choice. I recommend those three because of the history. They have been there for years. Most of the other places are new.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Go to the Cask for Fenway drinking. They completely redid the place this past offseason and it came out fantastic. When I was with the big blue ticket we'd always head over there. Not there as often anymore but it's where I go, a lot of the bartenders are truly good people. It's also cheaper than the others, though no shots on game days.

Beer Works on Brookline Ave. is good with their microbrews. I'm not a fan of Copperfields and Who's (underage central). Boston Billiards on Brookline is a decent place, not sure if they still have their $1 draft specials.
    Of course, Daisy's on Newbury is about a 10 minute walk.

Whatever you do, don't go to Game On. The place sucks.

As for Fanuil Hall drinking, I've always enjoyed The Tap (it's on the street parallel to Congress, across from City Hall and the Holocaust Memorial).

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

[​IMG]
    I hear they're good.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Bullshit on all this. Try any, and I mean any, Italian place in Providence, just up the road. Some of them look like ratholes, but the food is worthy of any Godfather stamp of approval. Never found one there on any visit I didn't like.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Been a while since I've been up there, but I liked Legal Seafood. Didn't they just renovate the Park Square restaurant.

And, if you want Italian, there's no better place in America than the North End. There are no bad places there.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

You can go to Abe & Louie's in any city. Ditto Legal (at least on the East Coast).

For phenomenal food and wine and a great pairing menu, go to Troquet on Boylston Street across from the Common (right near Boylston Alley).

For dessert, go to Finale.

For drinking before the game, the Cask is your place.

8. Crass - I'll also second Daisey's on Newbury. In fact take some time to walk Newbury Street with yur wife. Lots on interesting shops and lots of nice restaurants. Find a new place and make it your own.

9. Evil One --
    You that big a fan of Daisy's?
    I never saw the attraction of the place. The Cask re-design is really terrific, though.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I gotta agree with FB....I've never been a big fan of Daisy's, its too small and the ceiling being so low really bugs me. Plus its a friggin fire trap.

To grab a beer before a Sox game, go to the Baseball Tavern on Boylston st., thats where all the Sox employees drink.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Boom, do you want the guy to get his ass kicked? Might as well send him to the Blackthorn.

Fenian, props to you for the great suggestions, especially Redbones.

Once upon a time, I used to dine at this place called Dolce Vita on Hanover Street. Back when I was a semi-regular, it was an upstairs joint. Now it's street-level (if it's the same operators, maybe someone just swiped the name) and has some outdoor seating.

And Fenian is right. Please stop making Eddie Andleman rich, and stay away from Kowloon. Talk about overpriced crap.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

P.S. Cask's appeal to me was that it was relatively blue collar right next to Fenway. Now after the remodel, not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted