1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston You're My Home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With apologies to The Standells, with the spotlight on Boston I could not help thinking about the uniqueness of the city. I've spent a fair amount of time there and have many close friends living in area. It's a city unlike any other that I've spent time in in terms of how close knit that it seems. I would use the term "provincial" in it's most positive light.

Personally love the city and the dynamic feel of it. Have never been able to put my finger on why it's so unique. Is it the long held traditions? Close knit communities
    and ethnic families? History of colorful politicians? Major Universities? Top pro sports teams? Perhaps someone like Michael Gee could explain it better exactly what makes it so unique.

2. Apparently, the city is defiant, as evidenced by a business owner displaying an American flag. Message sent to the bomber.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spt--bostonians-show-resiliance-day-after-marathon-attacks-005034622.html

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They never turned against the Red Sox, that's all you need to know.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's the quaintest, big city in the u.s. of a. always loved that town. and the college-student population is ginormous. if i wasa house it would be listed as 'charming.'

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Love the city. I would probably argue that it's consistently the best sports city in the country.

That said, I think Red Sox fans are the most vulgar of any fans of any college or professional sport and that's from someone who went to Raiders games as a kid and covered the SEC... :D

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Always enjoyed the bumper-car aspect of driving in Boston.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Boom, Boston deserves a book to explain it (and many have been written). All I know is I've lived here for 40 years, will likely retire and die here (or on Cape Cod, same thing) and never regretted a second of that choice.
    If I had to cite one thing, I'd say that there's just something about living in the world's biggest college town that keeps you fresh and feeling younger than your years.
    Also, the city has changed enormously for the better in those 40 years, far more cosmopolitan, far more amenities, a far more positive attitude than the vibe when I got here in 1974 -- when it basically was a good place for young adults starting off in life because a lousy economy made living here cheap.

8. Boom_70

Yeah "The Cape" is the summer home of Boston. Agree that's it's a more cosmopolitan place now but the unique vibe was always there. As an outsider I think a lot of the feeling comes from the strong feeling of neighborhood and big Irish and Italian families that lived in them. Gave the city a small town feel because everyone seemed to know each other in some way. Even the way the fans related to the pro athletes. Yaz, Dewey, Espo, Hondo, nicknames roll off the tongues of fans like those guys were next door neighbors. Jason Varitek finally made it when he became "Tek".

Less so now but in the 70's and 80's I think that The Globe and The Herald had a lot to do
    with creating the vibe of Boston through their unique writers.

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Counterpoint: Rick "The Negativity In This Town Stinks" Pitino.

10. Boom_70

Or Barry " I would never play in racist Boston" Bonds.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Or Dee "He Matches the Profile" Brown

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rick "Everything would have been better if we'd gotten Tim Duncan" Pitino...

Draft saved Draft deleted