1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston or New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Jul 1, 2006.

1. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

OK, so I've got a quick four-day trip to plan here. Which place do I go?
    Boston, where I don't know anyone and have never been;
    or New York, where I know people but they'll be working since the trip will be in the middle of the week?

some help would be much appreciated.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Will the people you know be working at night? If not, go to New York. If so, it won't matter either way. Either trip would be enjoyable but if you've never been to Boston, I'd go there. It's a lot of fun, plus, it's always nice to get away from people and places you know once in awhile.

3. Boston is a wonderful city with an awful lot of history. It's also easier to wrap your arms around than NYC.

Plus the seafood is superb.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Boston, it's wicked pissah.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

That's a toss-up, but I'd go with Boston. It's a beautiful weekend, for one. Plenty of historical things to do - Freedom Trail, for one - great shopping on Newbury Street, lots of good food in the North End ...

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What do you want to do?
    Figure that out and then figure out which is the best place.

I love visiting both cities. Just got back from one, going to the other in three weeks.

7. midwestchic

midwestchic New Member

Boston — fell in love with it the first time I went there, and have always been working to someday end up in that area. There is so much to see and do, and it's possible without a lot of planning. Not to mention the surrounding towns are great — Marblehead, Salem...just so much to do!

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

that's tough... you won't be bored in either

any of the baseball teams there while you'd be there?

i'm a big boston fan (but you can never go wrong with nyc)

you win either way

(although, this woulda been more interesting if you would have made it a poll)

9. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

No baseball. The days I can make it are during the all-star break. I thought about that. No MLS either. I'm leaning towards NYC, if only because my friends couch is much more affordable than a Boston hotel room. But the fact I've never been to Boston is really tugging me that way.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I of course recommend our fair city, but if you don't wish to perish of sticker shock before the trip, check out suburban hotels. In-Boston rates are higher than Manhattan's.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Boston is my second-favorite city I've never lived in (behind Chicago).

I'd vote Boston. Easily. NYC depresses me.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Just got back from Boston. Enjoyed it greatly.

Haven't spent much time in NYC.

Word of advice for Boston...buy a map. It's fun to explore, but if you don't know your way around, there are areas you can easily end up on a toll, tunnel, road, town you don't want to be in. And if you do end up in a town unfamiliar, it can take a while to figure out how to get back to a main road.

Have fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted