1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Marathon Coverage - Local

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah 100%. I think people like the day, like having an excuse to drink all day, like to support the runners especially if a friend is running. But I don't think anyone is dying to pick up the paper the next day to read about what Kenyan won the race.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You may have a point about the interest in reading lots of race stories among the Boston-area residents. I have no way to refute that, so I'll grant you that. But you have to consider that there are thousands of runners in town who can't get enough of that stuff.

Maybe I'm a bad example because I'm in the business. But when I was in Boston for the race, I bought the Globe and the Herald. Sure, you can read it online, but most runners are going to have a lot of downtime traveling back home and are going to love reading about the race on their way home. It's also something most will keep if it's their one and only Boston.

What bores you, may interest others. I nkow people at the office were amazed that I sat and watched the entire Boston Marathon on TV.

San Antonio may not be a big college basketball area. I don't know. But for the sake of this argument, let's assume it isn't. You still have to cover the hell out of the Final Four because you have thousands of people who want to read it.

3. Boobie Miles

I think that's the stuff people actually like reading, the little color stories and the features. I just think the interest in who actually wins the race is minimal. I'm not even sure we're disagreeing, just talking about different things.

4. bob

bob Member

You guys have valid points (isn't is nice that we're keeping this civil?). Maybe I look at it from a suburban standpoint, which is where I'm coming from. We cover the crap out of the race, with dozens of stories about local runners ("Local man runs in gorilla suit!"). I think the only people who care about a story on an individual runner are a few friends and family, and in the long run (pun!), that doesn't up up to many sales.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A wise man once said "There are seven great stories at every Boston Marathon. Unfortunately, they're the same seven stories every year. So after seven years, ask to cover something else."

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Bob: I lived in the Boston area for a good while, and I disagree with you on the interest.

Around me, people were talking about it for days.

I bet the papers around the marathon day are among the Globe's biggest sellers, especially the roster day and the results day.

7. Boobie Miles

I'd agree with some of the sentiment in your post, but I have to disagree with that last point. There's no way the sales of the marathon papers can touch those papers covering major Sox, Patriots and Celtics games and happenings.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

For the paper in Kearney, Neb., the winner of the Boston Marathon means next to nothing.

A writer from that paper scouring bostonmarathon.org and getting the results of the 5-7 people from their area ... that should be SOP. Anywhere. NO excuse not to.

Draft saved Draft deleted