1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald reporter to leave for sports radio website

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

From one of the job postings on their site:
    VERY interesting ... and given their already strong position in the market, I can definitely see them making an impact. "Dominant"? We'll see -- but management at the Globe and the Herald had best pay close attention to this move.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It's routinely stated that newspapers trying to get into video, radio and Webcasting are competing against traditional television and radio already doing what they do best.

Look at some radio and television Web sites and the items suck. They put the brief, short-sentence reports they read on the air online. Most of the time it doesn't work.

With all the layoffs in the industry, why wouldn't a radio station look at this as a good time to capitalize on that talent? Just as an example, a station in Los Angeles or Chicago might hire 10 writers from the newspaper and beef up coverage online, on the radio and at events.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

with all this media - podcasts, videocasts, blogs - how do people find the time?

media is expanding infinitely.

but time isn't. still only 24 hours in a day.

something has gotta give.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

WEEI certainly has the cachet; it's a tremendously popular station in a city obsessed with sports. But their two anchor shows are "Angry, Conservative White Guys Talk Politics and Occasionally Sports" in the morning and "Hey, the Host and His Sidekick Sure Are Fat!" in the afternoon. Substantive sports discussion isn't their strength, with a few exceptions. It'll be interesting to see what kind of content Bradford (and reportedly Michael Felger) will provide to the Web site. I hope it's worthwhile, but if it's just an online riff on their radio personas, it'll be a waste of time.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This COULD work. But WEEI doesn't have a strong brand identity as regards actual news. It might be harder than they think to get Internet users to think of scanning their Web site, currently a promotional mishmash, for the latest dope on the Sox, Pats, etc.
    But for the sake of my former comrades at the Herald, I'm glad they're giving it a shot.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

I wonder why more electronic outlets haven't done something like this and run their Web sites like local versions of espn.com or sportsline.

Draft saved Draft deleted