1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe rejects cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KP, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A 23 percent pay cut would do me in. I would probably lose it and quit on the spot.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I find that very, very hard to believe.

And yeah, I live in Cali, too. Not everybody, even at major papers out here, is making $80,000, and it's just as expensive. Certainly some managers are. Some columnists and high-profile writers, too (the ones who haven't been laid off, anyway.) Not most production folk, not most reporters.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Agree with Buck here. I'm fairly familiar with the pay scales at large newspapers. Your average reporter/desk person is probably still shy of $60K; only upper management and elite writers/columnists are clearing six figures (and even at that, probably not by much).

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Me too.

Maybe if you took the combined salaries of two or three employees you might get into six figures.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

This is a landmark case. If the NLRB rules against the Guild, or if they lose in court.. then every union paper in the country is free to void their contracts and arbitrarily reduce pay any amount they want.

6. Armchair_QB

Wouldn't that also be true for any union anywhere if the Guild loses? It wouldn't just impact newspaper unions.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I don't belong to a union, and never have, so I don't know how they do these votes.

But if it's a paper ballot, I hope someone also wrote "And tell 'em to go fuck themselves" below the checkmark.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This is a case for Michael Gee.

But my hunch is, the Globe folks are indeed at $80K and above, on average. The reporters and copy editors, anyway, don't know about the backroom folks.

9. Armchair_QB

80K ain't much in Boston if you're trying to feed a family.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Having worked at more than one major metro paper, I'd say your estimate is way high.

Don't know the Globe's pay scale specifically, but at the majors I've worked for, few were making $80,000. I'd be surprised if the Globe's average salary was even close to that. I guess the big numbers of the top columnists could pull the average up quite a bit, but I'd bet the vast majority is well under $80,000.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If someone has evidence to the contrary, I would love to hear it. But I would suggest you run your theory past copy editors at the Globe, Washington Post, New York Times, Los Angeles Times and Wall Street Journal and see what they think. Then I would suggest you ask people who five years ago were at Dallas, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami or Fort Lauderdale and get their opinions. You will find that you are laughably misinformed. (The reason I say five years ago is because by that point, after all, most of the Globe employees were in the door and on their wage scale. There have been no pay cuts since then.)

I link below to the contract for the Minneapolis Star Tribune, which was agreed upon in August 2008 under great duress. Its minimum -- MIN-I-MUM -- salary for a six-year newsroom veteran is $69,888.

http://www.shoptalknet.org/contracts/ContractStarTribune.htm

And you are telling me that despite their relative places in the pecking order, Globe staffers are by and large making $10,000 less than that. Uh, OK.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I feel for small-town journalists making 22k who take a pay cut.
    I feel for big-city journalists making 90k who take a pay cut.

It's a shitty deal either way, LongTime.

Draft saved Draft deleted