1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Globe rejects cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KP, Jun 8, 2009.

1. KP

KP Active Member

277-265 against the proposal.

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2009/06/globes_largest_1.html

http://bostonherald.com/business/general/view/2009_06_08_Globe_Guild_rejects_contract_proposal__277-265/srvc=home&position=0

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow. I know it was a hard call to make, but still ... wow.

3. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

This will not end well...

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It wasn't going to end well regardless.

5. sportsed

sportsed Member

Dunno what the outcome will be, but at least now we'll get to see what hand management really had.

6. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Tucson,

Nice avatar. Met her in person last year when Team USA came to South Florida as part of their pre-Olympics tour and she is even more beautiful up close. Her hubby, Casey Daigle, is one lucky dude.

7. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

what's the next step here? the 23 percent cut can't happen right away, right?

damn this is a mess.

oh, and i've never seen that softball player up close.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Management says 23 percent pay cut effective next week.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, management can put in the 23 percent pay cut right away.

Again, this was a tough call, but three-plus months out ... I wish I could have been given the choice vs. what ultimately happened.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

and then it will go to court.
    the downside for the Times, that if they were to lose, they would owe millions in back pay, but this is, in a way, uncharted territory for publishing companies.
    Yeah, places have been in courts for years, but this one is different because the Times Company could just say screw it and shut the Globe down.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

23 percent paycut? Sheesh. Why stop there? If you can get away with that, you can get away with anything.

And I never thought she was hot.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

A 23 percent pay cut is hideous. Morale has to be horrible, not that that matters to higherups. Morale is of no concern to them. Man, East coast mentality ... there have to be some pissed off Easterners.

Draft saved Draft deleted