1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston gets 2024 U.S. Summer Olympic bid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jan 9, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You could always just get the IMF and UN to hold a conference, those guys go through hookers and blow fastr than Michael Ray Richardson

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They just spent US$2B for the Pan-Am Games. They have many of the facilities needed in place. Where would an Olympic stadium go? Maybe the Jays can move there afterward, as SkyDome would be 35 or so by that point.

3. heyabbott

Hold it in Bristol

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Toronto doesn't need an Olympics. The Pan Ams might have gone off without a hitch and proven to be more popular than many skeptics - like me - said they would but it was also a massive financial fuckup and the Olympics would be much, much more expensive for a city that has far more pressing issues.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

But the party Huggy.

LongTimeListener, Huggy and YankeeFan like this.
  6. heyabbott

By 2030, an Olympics we be cancelled.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bring Your Own Billion

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You already have free healthcare, what the hell are you worried about?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fair point. We can afford to host every Olympics - winter and summer - from here to the end of time.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Vancouver was a blast. I enjoyed being around it but not worth the money.

The city took a bath on the Olympic Village Condos they were going to sell to cover some of the costs.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know many people who volunteered at the Pan Ams or checked out some of the events and loved it but I suspect when the bills start to come in and they take a much closer look at what an Olympics here would really cost - much, much more than whatever is initially budgeted - the appeal might wear off. Oh yeah, and the Bread not Circuses crowd - who helped derail the last bid - will be out in full force too.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Winter Olys to Beijing. Color me bored.

Draft saved Draft deleted