1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston College women's soccer player suspended for Penn State tweets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 17, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8637607/stephanie-mccaffrey-boston-college-eagles-soccer-player-suspended-tweets-penn-state-nittany-lions-jerry-sandusky

I dunno ... I think suspending her was a bit extreme. The AD could have simply told the coach to tell her to tone it down, or get off Twitter like some coaches do.

If you suspended every student at colleges that play Penn State in any sport for jokes, T-shirts, comments, etc., they might not be able to field a team.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, can't have someone connected to a CATHOLIC university start talking smack about pedophiles... it would have made the priests on campus nervous.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Friend of mine named her team at a bar trivia contest Sandusky Day Care.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If the jokes were aimed at the victims, that's one thing.

If they were aimed at Sandusky or PSU itself -- tough fucking shit.

They earned everything they get.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's either awesome or terrible, depending on how you look at it.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where would "Uncles With Benefits" rank? Heard that one at a bar trivia contest awhile back.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pretty much. What she did wasn't so smart, but suspending her seemed like an overreaction, too.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I have a friend who thinks making jokes about child-rapists isn't that big of a deal.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, its obvious your friend has twins at every school in the Big Ten. This stuff will go on for a while and there isn't much that can be done to counter it.

I get that. It just seems after all the publicity surrounding the whole thing, it amounts to just piling on. Everyone has had their say. At what point, does everyone begin to move on?

Draft saved Draft deleted