1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bosses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gorndawg, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Gorndawg

Gorndawg New Member

It's almost 1a.m. and my boss is kicking me out of the office. And I've only worked 20 hours in two days. :)

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

amateur.

Now, if there's a 24-hour licker store near you, I could use a Fat Tire or 5

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

A licker store, eh? Do they sell carpet munchies there?

4. Gorndawg

Gorndawg New Member

A drink would be good right now. I'll have to check on the 'licker" story. Actually, I have a great boss. He was just giving me crap, so I thought I would publicize it.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am sure many of us will work 24 hours over two days soon, with football approaching.

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

32 Friday-Saturday and I am the boss

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I remember those days, back when I was an ASE. Thank God I am just a sportswriter now and the most I'll have is 24, though I will only get to count 16.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Back when I had my first full-time job, the publisher went down the street one day to an Army-Navy store and came back with a cot and set it up in the back of the newsroom "so (Arnold) can get some sleep once in a while." I was the whole sports department for a little p.m., going to prep games hours away and coming in at 5 a.m. to lay out the paper. I worked 100-hour weeks regularly. Even though I lived half a mile away (small town, obviously), I used the cot often and as far as I know, it's still there. Poor fucking bastard who has that job now.

There was a time I was proud of this story, because it exemplified the work ethic that got me where I am today. Now it makes me cringe, because I can't believe I did all that for a career that would never pay me real money.

9. I'll never tell

your time is coming. I thought the same thing a lot, but I'm making more than I thought I would be now (early 30s)

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seriously? I used to have faith working for community papers (read 50k and below) and now I work for one that has cut off travel, no raises, no new hires.
    Shit, they tried to cut the area football beat - my beat. I really like my sports department, but I am pretty bitter toward my paper right now and if the shitty times are hitting the community papers, then the bad news effects us all, not just the major metros, and that is frightening.

Problem is, I have no idea of any other job, except for SID or PR flack.

11. I'll never tell

Honestly, I work at a community rag. My next move will likely be to a 100K. But really, if you're in community rags, you've got to suck it up and move into management. It's going to make your resume look so much better when you get ready to bolt

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have no problem moving into management, I was ASE at my last stop. All I was saying is, community papers used to be invincible to the shit going on at the big papers and that is apparently no longer true.

Draft saved Draft deleted