1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Born of the Fourth of July

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Film gets better each time I watch it.

I think that Daniel Day-Lewis will deservedly take home the statue next for There Will Be Blood.

But, sorry, I still think Tom Cruise was everlastingly fucking robbed of the 1989 Best Actor. My Left Foot was excellent, but, to me, the performance wasn't quite the same.

Cruise not only handles the massive physical upheaval in the middle of the film, but also the 180-degree mental turnover. Impressive.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The book was better.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agreed, Cowbell.

Cruise was robbed, especially because voters had to realize he'd never again be that good. Daniel Day-Lewis is great in everything he does.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Shocker: I've actually seen several movies Tom Cruise has been in. Since I rarely watch movies, that's a feat. If it weren't for his hopping-on-a-couch Scientology meltdown, he might draw some notice for his acting skills.

However, now people just think of him as a brainwashed L. Ron Hubbard loony toon. He should get down on his hands and knees and fellate thank Britney Spears for taking his crown as Tinseltown's biggest serial nut case.

5. Simon_Cowbell

The film is a visual marvel.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

With the blown transmission thread right above this, I initially though the thread title was Blown on the Fourth of July.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

And since Simon hasn't said it, it's on HBO2 at the moment.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Have spoken with vets who can't handle it, particularly VA hospital vets.

9. Simon_Cowbell

The idea of such a sacrifice being for nothing, or for a lie... has to be utterly revolting.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Many great moments. In my mind it's Cruise's best film.

The afterbars fight with his parents, which literally brings his mother to her knees, alone is painful to watch.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

In 2004, I remember wondering why this movie wasn't part of the debate, when Kerry's turn against the war after returning from Vietnam suddenly was rendered unpatriotic. Implicit -- hell, sometimes explicit -- in all that swift boat veterans bullshit was the notion that there was something odd or dishonorable about being disillusioned by Vietnam service.
    That wasn't exactly how I remembered the early '70s, even though I was just a few years too young to serve.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The outdoor GOP convention scenes were filmed at the Dallas Convention Center; as I recall Stone trucked in a couple of palm trees to try and make it look like Miami.

Draft saved Draft deleted