1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boredom plus OnDemand could equal a really bad decision

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jun 29, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I made a terrible movie decision last night, and I'm hoping that I can provide a Public Service Announcement to the fine folks here at SportsJournalists.com.

After The Office marathon, I was bored. Over a thousand channels, and nothing was on. I don't watch drafts, so the NBA's selection shindig on ESPN was out. I despise bad baseball, so there was no chance I would observe the Yankees-Orioles game. My television was a vast wasteland of nothing and filler.

So, I started flipping around. And I came across to OnDemand, where the featured film was "Epic Movie." Now, I like slapstick comedy. And even though the flick seemed to be as amusing as a rectal exam, I decided to order it.

Did I ever screw up.

I did not laugh once, to say nothing of smiling. And I tried, really, to enjoy it. There was just nothing to laugh at. The gags were forced. The one-liners caused me to drop my head and shake it back-and-forth, a mix of exasperation, frustration, resignation and disgust.

After an hour and fifteen minutes, I gave up, settling for Seinfeld and back-to-back episodes of Scrubs, starring the beguiling Sarah Chalke. Oh, lovely Sarah Chalke, how I love thee so.

I digress.

I just wanted to say that I wasted money on a comedic movie that wasn't funny. And if any SJers are ever in the same boat I was in last night, do not order Epic Movie.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You dont jump right into the deep end.
    Start with the movie channels on-demand first -- HBO, Showtime, Starz...
    Then and only then if you find something you can't watch, then hit the PPV...

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Damn. I'll have to tell the Mrs. that tonight's plans are changed.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Epic Movie was so awful, it made Dukes of Hazzard look like Schindler's List.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This news will break her heart. We were so looking forward to tonight.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Date Movie was OK.. not another teen movie was a flippin riot -- especially with the Molly Ringwald bit...

7. Should have read the worst movie thread a few days ago, HB ...

I would have ordered it the other night had posters not pointed out that it was much worse than Date Movie - which I also despised. I will admit I was thinking about ordering it again tonight until I saw this thread (there is nothing on - FU HBO.)

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Date Movie wasn't that bad and had a few good laughs.

Epic Movie=worst. movie. ever.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, "How Bad Can It Get?" with Leguizamo and DeVito is the worst movie ever, with "Love, Actually" a close 2nd. And this from someone who rarely pans a movie.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

You must have misspelled "Keeping the Faith."

11. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Surely there was an adult feature that would've suited you better. ;D

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If he's that hot for Sarah Chalke, he missed a golden opportunity. There was something called "Why I wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy" on Lifetime Movie Network last night. I'm sure the movie itself was every bit as uplifiting as the title indicates.
    I don't know, I didn't stick around.
    But I did flip through the channels just in time to see the lovely Ms. Chalke getting busy for 30 seconds of bra-clad, Lifetime Channel softcore. Veeeerrry nice ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted