1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bored With The Spread O

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There is a lot of misunderstanding. I would agree. WVU run the classic spread where lead option is their base play. Tech runs more of passing version. Love that they use those wide splits and challenge teams to pass rush . Tech QBs are well trained in knowing how much time that they have to release the ball.

If teams favors pass in spread I would agree that pressuring QB is more effective than to try and cover but if team favors run you need to cover with quick ends and OLB LBS that can read run and close quickly. Perfect type player to defend is someone like the Colts Bob Sanders.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

But if that quarterback is good, you're toast.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I spose, yeah. But I'd rather make the quarterback be good in five seconds, then give him 20 seconds to be good.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

5 secs is better than 20 but it won't be a very good spread offense . good spread offenses get the ball off in 3-4 seconds. QB's are taught to throw the ball without worrying about finding seams on football to save time.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sweetest play I've seen this year was in the Mich-Fla game where the Gators went with the option look right and Tebow pitched it to Harvin (wingback?) who was running against the flow and he scored from around 20 yds out.

Like the Urban Meyer spread.

Draft saved Draft deleted