1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Borders to Declare Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 13, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Walked past the massive Borders next to Madison Square Garden a few hours ago, contemplated going inside, and said, Nah, you've got time for two beers before the train leaves. Then I saw this thread. If I had just walked inside ...

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, thanks for putting a bunch of good folks out of work, dude!

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

World Without Borders!

Or some such.

For me, bookstores have become a place to go and see what's out there. Maybe sit down and read for a little while. I enjoy visiting the bookstore, and gain amusement at the Barnes & Noble sales, since even their reduced prices aren't anything special.

Then when I finish finding interesting books, I go home and buy them on Amazon at a reduced rate. If a bookstore gouges its customers (and they do, especially on CDs and DVDs), I feel no shame in taking my business elsewhere.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Borders built a bookstore near my former residence a couple of years ago. They put the coffee shop up a flight of stairs off of the main floor. It's the only thing that's upstairs. For some reason, it always seemed like a ridiculous design to have the coffee shop isolated where it's harder to be tempted by sight and smell to order food/drinks.

5. accguy

accguy Member

I'm not sure I would wait until tomorrow to spend a gift card.

I'd be getting on line and getting the damn thing done.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I still like going into the bookstores. I guess I'm just old. And I much preferred Borders to Barnes & Noble. RIP.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

It better survive. The Strand is pretty much the one place I always visit when I'm in NYC.

I'm another guy that loves going into bookstores and browsing for an hour. I always come out with one or two books. The independent bookstore downtown near my apartment just folded so about all I've got left are the big box stores -- B&N, Borders (for now, I guess) and Books-A-Million.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Me too.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup...

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Never gets old going into a bookstore. Was just in one today to do work (Tattered Cover, not Borders).

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm a regular book store visitor as well, and will often leave with a book or two...sad, but the new reality I suppose.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Strand is a much different place than the big chain booksellers. I think it's shelf life is still pretty good.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted