1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

border patrol agents shooting case

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Every once in a while I hear something on the news about two border patrol agents who were convicted of shooting an alleged drug dealer. I don't remember hearing much about the case until recently, even though their trial was almost a year ago.
    I don't know a whole lot about the case, but the prevailing opinion that I'm hearing is that these two guards should not have been convicted and the federal government has sold them out.
    Does anybody know anything else about the case? Why the belong or prison or why they don't?
    A jury did hear the evidence and determine they were guilty, right?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I believe they shot him in the back, which means they weren't shooting in self-defense.

This isn't the Wild West. There are rules now.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Except when they believe he's reaching for a gun, since those driving with nearly 800 pounds of pot don't deal like they're amish. It took the smuggler awhile, but eventually his story corroborated with some other agents. The Post had a story today about how there's a continuing push to get the two pardoned. I'm not as certain as I was before of their innocence, but I have a big problem when you offer amnesty and free health care to an admitted drug smuggler and let him change his story a few times. One of the guards in jail was up for border guard of the year at the time of the incident. To say it's cut and dry would be laziness.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

If they'd just killed him and buried the body, there wouldn't be a problem right now.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I was a little surprised they closed the story that way, but it was a lot to wrap up knowing some newspapers might have only so much space. Definitely worth the time to read on the wires, though.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ding!

Draft saved Draft deleted