1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Booster problems at Mississippi State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wonder if Dan Mullen will comment on this?
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8368424/coach-claims-booster-paid-mississippi-state-bulldogs-recruit

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I hear if you ask Mullen after the booster's artificial hip, he walks out of the media conference.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mississippi State is one of those places where I can't imagine how you would be able to compete with the other schools in the SEC without cheating...

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It can't compete WITH cheating.

5. Mizzougrad96

Right, because Florida and Auburn are much better at it than they are. :D

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So it's no different than any other SEC program (except for Vandy)?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cam Newton still didn't take the money at Auburn after turning down Mississippi State's $180K.

8. Mizzougrad96

I think it's a question of how good are you at cheating.

Awhile back, I was at a bowl game and a bunch of us were out and we met a couple investigative reporters and we asked them, "What program cheats the most?" and one of them said, without hesitation, "Florida." and the others were nodding. I said, "Why aren't they on probation?" and one of them said, "They're better at it than anyone else..."

I've never gotten the impression that Mississippi State was nearly that good at cheating.

9. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

This whole situation reminds me of Alabama during the Dubose years. Boosters doing anything necessary to make their team relevant, only to hurt them in the long run.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You just described every booster-driven scandal ever.

11. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I understand that, but this is so similar to the Alabama thing with the Memphis player who couldn't even dominate the CUSA. (I'm taking into consideration the Cam Newton scandal, etc. as well)

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

A few years ago, Mississippi State's athletic department budget was basically the same as Alabama's for football.

Might still be the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted