1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Boom! Voices of Sixties by Tom Brokaw

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What possibly did the boomer generation do that could top that of the greatest generation?

2. Yes. There has only been one generation in America.
    I read the galleys. The account of Woodstock comes from Arlo Guthrie and Tim Fucking Russert.
    I am not hopeful.

3. Boom_70

there you go - the greatest generation - storming the beaches at Normandy tossing grenades at the German army. Arlo Guthrie storming Stockbridge tossing garbage on the Main St.

When you here Russert speak of the 60s he acts like he was Abbie Hoffman.

4. You're just mad 'cause Brokaw -- not the vandals -- stole your handle.
    Actually, Russert plays the good ol' yob from Buffalo card (again!). He and his buds, apparently believing they had come to see the Bills play, sitting around a campfire, drinking them some beers and some drug dealing takes place nearby and Tim feels impending violence beginning to surround him and gets nervous. (I'm not making this shit up.) The chapter is unconscious hilarity.
    Of course, by all means, let's forget all those members of The Greatest Generation -- like Army vet Byron DeLa Beckwith -- who came home to America and fought against the civil-rights movement that those dirty hippies started up.

5. Boom_70

Nah I'm fine with Brokaw. Actually saw him speak last week. He is a fascinating man to listen to with a very experienced view of the world.

You just can't help but think of the contrast between the 2 generations though. While one was hitting the beach at Guadalcanal the other was storming the customs office at Fort Erie on the way to Canada.

6. Yeah there's no difference between WWII and the Vietnam War.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, all those boomers who were killed, wounded, maimed and psychologically damaged in Southeast Asia... they don't mean anything.

8. Boom_70

When we want a quote from civil war generation we'll call you

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There may only be about 10 people here who get that reference.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Way to discount Vietnam vets, Boom.

11. John Lewis -- gutless hippie kid.

12. Boom_70

Certainly not intended. I think enough of their own generation discounted them enough already.

Draft saved Draft deleted