1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books You've Read More Than Once

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jun 5, 2007.

1. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

In no particular order:

A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving. The book strikes a Pete Townsend-ish chord with me for some reason. It's fucking hilarious in spots and hashes out both sides of belief and non-belief (at least I think it does). I've read it eight or nine times and I've given it to at least 15 people, who all, but for one, love it, too.

The Cider House Rules, Irving. Another that resonates in my brain when I'm into it. And when I'm into it, I can't put it down.

The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas (and others, supposedly). Not the bullshit abridged and condensed Reader's Digest version or fucking hack-movie-script versions either. The whole thing, a 2,200-onion-paperthin-pages-of-type-from-nearly-top-to-bottom-paperback version. Straight from the translators (with some French left in that you have to look up). A book so thick you could knock out a toddler with it.
    It's epic and gorgeous, hateful and redemptive, briny and smart and full of unmitigated passion.

The Stand, Stephen King. Maybe the best thing he's done, and he did some awfully good stuff early in his career.

The Brothers K, David James Duncan. A great book about baseball, family, religion, spirituality and just how different everyone is. The redemption theme rears it's head again. I love this book.

Guilty pleasures: Anything by Elmore Leonard and Robert Parker.

2. Brave New World

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, I can't believe a couple that have been mentioned that I forgot.
    I love John Irving, I have read nearly all of his books twice and Prayer for Owen Meany 6 or 7 times, just a great book.
    And good call on Sherman Alexie a couple of posts ago, I love Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven.

As for C.S. Lewis, my favorite book by him is 'Til We Have Faces', it is kind of in a Beowulf (sp.?) genre.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Mostly history books for me. I can't think of a work of fiction I've ever re-read.

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

1) The Hunt For Red October.

Tom Clancy's last 3 or 4 books in the Jack Ryan series have sucked, but THFRO is the very definition of "page-turner." For those with short attention spans, the movie was a nice adaptation even though Alec Baldwin starred in it.

2) The Dilbert Priniple.

It'sa collection of cartoons and stories from Scott Adams. I worked for Gannett and get the feeling that Scott Adams did, too. No one could dream up such massive clusterfucks without having spent at least some brief time at a Gannett paper.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

sportschick is gonna make some nerdy as hell, long-haired, tatted-up dude very happy someday.

Also: for my list . . . .can't believe I forgot Friday Night Lights and Dune. The first Dune novel was amazing, even if it telegraphed the ending. Dune Messiah was OK, but it was pretty clear that Herbert blew almost all of his good ideas on that first book.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

• The Hunt for Red October
    • The Glory of Their Times
    • Eight Men Out
    • The Mental ABC's of Pitching
    • The Mental Game of Baseball
    • Dracula
    • The Last Best League
    • Without Remorse
    • the Bible

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm not big into rereading, and if i do, there's generally got to be a 5-year(ish) gap before I can pick up a book again. But that said, that I can remember...

Crime and Punishment -- Dostoyevsky
    Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy -- Adams
    Big Trouble -- Dave Barry
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest -- Kesey
    Catch-22 --Heller

There may be one or two more I'm forgetting. Currently reading Atlas Shrugged (I was feeling ambitious at the library) and I could see where that could be a reread some day. Good stuff.

9. In Exile

In Exile Member

Various Kerouac. Straw for the Fire by Theodore Roethke.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the illustrated man was so good in high school, i stole it. read it every few years to this day.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

--Ball Four (duh!) about 10 times.
    --The Nearest Faraway Place (the definitive Beach Boys biography).
    --Beatles Anthology.
    --Live From New York.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh yeah, the physics of baseball. good read.

Draft saved Draft deleted