1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books You've Read More Than Once

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jun 5, 2007.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Have read Lord of the Rings nine times. Will read it again this summer.
    The Crossing (Cormac McCarthy) four times.
    Jitterbug Perfume three times.

2. highlander

highlander Member

Sorry I'm new. Was searching to see if anyone else read "World War Z" and they had.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It wasn't a complaint. Just a snarky observation.

Any poster with highlander as a handle can't be all bad.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I tend to tear through books pretty quickly, so my faves tend to be series: Tom Clancy books, John Sandford's "Prey" series (all of Sandford's books, really), Patrick O'Brien's British naval books with Aubrey and Maturin, M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth books, the Jesse Stone series... Michael Connelly's "The Poet" and a few of his Harry Bosch books, all guilty pleasures, and all re-read at least a dozen times each.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

On the Road - Kerouac
    A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens
    Catch Me If You Can - Frank Abagnale, Jr.
    the entire Harry Potter series - Rowling (Last summer, I reread the entire series, one right after the other, and it was amazing all of the things I picked up on.)

Unfortunately, a lot of the rest of the books I've reread (which is my entire collection. I never read a book just once. You cannot glean all of the intricate detail, dialogue and plot lines of a truly great book from just one reading. I wish my family understood this.) are chick lit, because a lot of what I read is chick lit.

However, I am making an effort to reread a lot of the books I had to read in high school - To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, Frankenstein, the Great Gatsby, etc. I know I won't attempt Great Expectations again or The Scarlet Letter or (god forbid) Wuthering Heights, but I remember genuinely enjoying the first list of books and wanting to reread, but between high school and college, it's hard to find time to just sit down and read.

I've also wanted to read a lot of Shakespeare's comedies, but I haven't gotten around to it.

6. highlander

highlander Member

Thanks but it's not the head chopping off movie. Highlanders was my high school's mascot.

7. outofplace

Then I take it back. Piss off, newbie! :D

8. outofplace

I've been doing the same thing, Wenders. I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it the first time and it was even better nearly 20 years later. It isn't a book, but I also recently re-read Poe's Fall of the House of Usher. I love short stories so I thought I'd give that one another shot. I thought I might appreciate it more now. So much for that idea.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I read "My Antonia" by Willa Cather every Christmas vacation.

I've also read "Absolutey American" or whatever that West Point book is several times as well.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

"A Confederacy of Dunces"

"All the King's Men."

"Absalom, Absalom."

"Rush Limbaugh is a Big, Fat Idiot."

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

"Clockers" is a great book. I have not found anything else by Richard Price nearly as good ... You're saying "Lush Life" really is all that? I'll have to check it out.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

"on the road"
    "cuckoo's nest"
    "mockingbird"
    "compulsion"

sport variety: "ball four," "north dallas forty," "boys of summer."

Draft saved Draft deleted