1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Back in the 80s and 90s, I read a lot of Joseph Wambaugh books, fiction and non fiction. If always found it a little strange that he kind of just stopped, but I learned this week that he put out a new series of LAPD novels beginning in 2006 with Hollywood Station.

I had a phase when reading the intro to see that he thanked James Ellroy for encouraging him to return to his roots. Ellroy is crazy and was pretty well cooked by 2006.

Anyway, I lasted about 25 pages. He seems to be trying to match Ellroy with jargon/patois, and it's not good. Too many references to chokeholds, and whining about how nobody likes cops any more and "angry black men" make their jobs difficult.

Just utter shit.

2. Tighthead

Finally read Ball Four, which I intended to read at the start of grade 13 in 1988.

Fun read. Good insight on the grind of the lifestyle for a family man back then. I enjoyed questioning all the “wisdom” from coaches, such as any pitch that is hit was the wrong pitch.

I read the most recent update, which covered his return to Yankee Stadium and the death of his daughter.

The peeping Tom stuff was really cringe. I read somewhere that he edited out parts about Elston Howard being an “Uncle Tom” - I didn’t see much criticism of him.

The best line had to be from his manager, Joe Schultz - “Hey Blondie, how’s your old tomato?”

I Should Coco, Liut and misterbc like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Haven't read it yet, but I think it's awesome that Danny Trejo has an autobiography out....and he co-wrote it with Donal Logue!

(they met making one of my favorite bad movies, Reindeer Games)

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The closest thing to criticism of Howard, I think, was when Bouton told of Howard's outburst during a team meeting that was called because a story came out of an unidentified player ripping manager Johnny Keane, and Bouton then disclosing who that unidentified player really was.

I think it was in the first "Ball Four" update that Bouton said he had wanted to go to Howard's funeral to pay his respects, but he knew Howard was upset about some things in the book and decided against going and possibly causing a scene at the service.

Liut and Tighthead like this.
  5. Tighthead

I did see a story that he has criticized Howard for being against civil disobedience, and I think that may have been edited out.

Howard didn’t like Bouton disclosing information about his role in doctoring baseballs. I think he was one of those old school guys who was just overall pissed that Bouton broke the code.

Neutral Corner and Liut like this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When are they going to make the "The Art of Fielding" movie? Just saw a reference to this book and reminded me of how much I enjoyed that book (what a great baseball opening.)

7. Chet the Jet

Chet the Jet Member

The actor chosen for the SS role better look like an athlete. The catcher too...

qtlaw likes this.
  8. Tighthead

Country Dark by Chris Offutt.

A simple Southern story and well told. Can be read in an afternoon, easily. I couldn't figure how it was going to end so it was a surprise that didn't feel like a contrived twist.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Reading "The Nightingale"; France in WWII. Emotional and riveting.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Loved that one. "All the Light We Cannot See," is also good.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great, thanks for the rec.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed this. It's the memoir of the fellow who played Officer Clemmons on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. His gig on that show was in addition to his work as an opera singer who performed all over the world. It hurt reading about some of his experiences growing up, but I liked reading about his relationship with Fred Rogers.

My only quibble is that he never mentioned the scene from the show that is pictured on the book's cover. I was really hoping he was going to get into that. I'm adding Mister Rogers' Neighborhood to my lecture on the history of television in my mass comm class this semester, and I wanted to read some insight from him.

Still...Joe Bob says check it out.

OscarMadison, Liut and Tighthead like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted