1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Me too, and I'm not a drummer.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Girl drummers rock.

OscarMadison and Flip Wilson like this.
  3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Memphis 68, by Stuart Cosgrove. Takes a look at the Memphis soul scene and everything else that happened in that city during this year.

It's one of those books that draws on a lot of other stuff done previously but it's a great read. I learned a lot of little interesting bits of trivia. For example, when the plane Otis Redding crashed, he was flying to play a gig in Wisconsin being opened by an early version of Cheap Trick.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The author did a trilogy of books: Detroit '67, Memphis '68 and Harlem '69.

Just added them to my Amazon list for my next shopping spree.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Reading the first. Just bought the last new.

(So I guess the key to being a working author is to write a really great book. Sounds easy.)

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Cabin At The End of The World; what a thriller

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Re-reading an old favorite of mine: a bio of Richard Daley called "American Pharaoh"

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Revisiting Christopher Moore's novels starting with "The Stupidest Angel." Sometimes silliness is what a soul needs.

9. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

If you're looking for a book where the bass player of the Red Hot Chili Peppers talks about touring the world as part of a hugely successful band, this is not it. It's about Flea's younger years. He writes about exactly one show that the core of RHCP plays in this book. It's a typical rock-n-roll memoir, with lots (LOTS!) of drugs and having trouble finding his place in the world. I would never have picked this up on my own, but it was part of a subscription from Brilliant Books my wife got me for Christmas. Still, I enjoyed it.

Joe Bob says check it out.

10. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

That sounds way more interesting. Are there any books -- fiction or nonfiction -- that tackle this?

11. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

I sat on my front porch for most of today and knocked this out. I'd seen the movie, but it was a long time ago and I'd forgotten most of the details. Some of them came back to me as I got close to the finale. This was a good way to spend a lazy Sunday. Joe Bob says check it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted