1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of the Year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AD, Dec 19, 2009.

1. AD

AD Active Member

I'll throw this out there, and see if it flies: Favorite sports book of this year. Had to be released in 2009, but could be in the U.S. or England or wherever. Just...whatever you think is the best, and why.

My pick: "The Beckham Experiment" by Grant Wahl. This is the best -- and likely only -- look inside the running of a modern sports franchise we're going to get for some time, if ever. Incredibly well-reported, revealing of both the Beckham and Galaxy camps, and, I think, it actually had an impact on the Galaxy's season.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Chris Ballard's "The Art of a Beautiful Game."

Donaghy's book wasn't horrible, either. It could be very damaging for the NBA if anyone decides to follow-up. I have a feeling a lot of what he said about the game's refs is true.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Krakauer's Pat Tillman book. A heart-wrenching tale, and one that serves as an indictment of a military bureaucracy that sold us not just one but two bullshit war stories.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I forgot to mention S.L. Price's book on Mike Coolbaugh, "Heart of the Game." Outstanding read.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I read both the previously mentioned books (Krakauer/Price) and enjoyed them, would give an edge to Price.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

The Damned Utd.

My favorite didn't come out this year, but I never saw it in a North American bookstore until the release of the critically acclaimed film adapted from it. Not non-fiction but more truth (and research) in it than many straight bios.

If you count canoeing as sport, Zeitoun.

o-<

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Forget the usual feelings we show about Simmons here and someone (or somemany) give me a straight, honest answer: Is the Simmons book any good?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Only 6 posts speaks volumes to the fact that it was a bad year for sports books.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Satchel Paige bio by Larry Tye was outstanding.

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Den:
    Your feeling and his book have been completely debunked by statistics. Donaghy is full of crap. Why do people assume that just because Jose Canseco was proven to be correct that Donaghy must be. He's one criminal and that's it. I will be STUNNED beyond all belief if there is ever any more smoke from that fire.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It was lovely work.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes it is. And his origin story in the beginning is genuine and well-written and an overlooked part of the book.

Draft saved Draft deleted