1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Booches, Shakespeare's and Wright Thompson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by swingline, Jan 9, 2020.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

This story popped up in my Mizzou alumni email. For those who have partaken of both places, Thompson pretty much nails it. I remember my first time at each joint, and 30-some years later, I still get to go once in a while.

Who was I in college?

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Every college town in America has places like Booches and Shakespeare's. (Well, except Lynchburg.)

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Phil's Continental Lounge and Bernie's Subs for me in college at Three Chopt University. Always try to go when back in the Commonwealth (Phil's has changed names, but it's still Phil's).

The Peacock and Clod's for Microville Tech students. And pizza at Woodstock's or ADP.

Colgate students still probably drink at the Old Stone Jug. Just as I did, as a 16-year-old with a fake ID on a college visit.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Shakespeare's pizza was way overrated with overpriced beer, even for the time.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Coug in Pullman, The Wagon Wheel in Lawrence, Kips in Berkeley, The Buffett Bar in Tucson. I'll add Suds in Corvallis. It used to be Suds and Suds and I'd go there on Sundays, study, drink, watch football and do laundry - not necessarily in that order. 40 taps, plus a lot of bottles. Drink 'em all you get your name on the wall. They don't have the laundromat anymore, but it's still a good hang (attached to Woodstocks if you're ever out this way).

micropolitan guy likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Insert Panchero's for Iowa City.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Rusty's in Aggieville.
    Wagon Wheel in Lawrence.
    Golden Q in Hays.
    The Hill or Southrock in Wichita.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Before I was legal, my Dad visited one weekend and tried to bribe the guy at the door at Nick's English Hut in Bloomington, Indiana.

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I still yearn for MoMo’s Pizza — slices as big as your head — in Tallahassee.

I didn’t drink in college, but I assume the establishments fitting this thread would include Bullwinkles, Potbellies, The Palace.

Draft saved Draft deleted