1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonk to Golf Digest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Insider, Jan 21, 2009.

1. GOLF DIGEST DIGITAL PROPERTIES NAMES THOMAS BONK GOLF DIGEST DIGITAL/WRITER-AT-LARGE

NEW YORK, NY—Thomas Bonk has been named Golf Digest Digital/Writer-at-Large, effective immediately. The announcement was made today by John Marvel, Managing Editor of Golf Digest Digital Properties. Mr. Bonk will contribute to the online editorial content of both GolfDigest.com and GolfWorld.com.

“Thomas is one of the most respected sports journalists in the country and I am thrilled that he is now part of the Golf Digest Digital team,” said Mr. Marvel. “He brings with him invaluable industry experience that will be of great benefit to our readers.”

Mr. Bonk most recently served as a golf reporter at the Los Angeles Times. Prior to covering golf, Mr. Bonk was the paper’s beat writer for the Los Angeles Lakers. Mr. Bonk began his career in 1974 in the editorial department of the Houston Post, where he was credited with coining the term “Phi Slama Jama” (the nickname of the dynamic University of Houston men’s basketball teams from 1982 to 1984 that starred Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler).

Mr. Bonk graduated from the University of North Texas in 1971 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Radio, TV and Film. He currently lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.

# # #

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No-brainer.
    One of the best golf writers out there.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Seconded. Didn't know he coined Phi Slama Jama.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

. . . and a great guy. Glad to see he caught on somewhere good.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My first thought was "Why is Jerry Bonkowski going to a golf magazine?"

6. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Didn't know about Tommy Bonk and golf. All I knew is he coined PSJ

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... and never left the media center.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Gets me wondering: Who invented PB&J?

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Not a military guy, huh? Peanut butter and jelly (separately) were part of the rationing kit for the Army in WWII. When the GIs returned, so did their hankering for putting together processed legumes with fruit and sugar-infused jams.

(Recruiters love to tell stories how the military invented everything from Xxxxxxxxx to the peanut butter and jelly sandwich.)

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Thanks, fish! I thought it might have been a summer camp counselor somewhere, sick of picky kids who didn't like the dinner menu. Remember the huge vats of peanut butter and jelly that were our last options when the real meal sucked.

Funny how the grunts didn't bring back a hankering for chippped beef on toast, the ol' S.O.S. my old man talked about.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I know what you're saying. Canned and potted meat, good Lord.
    (With the exception of Hawaiian cuisine where it somehow, someway works.)
    We had those protein/carb bars that tasted and digested like soft bricks. The bars said they were made by Hershey. Bullshit.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And do you ever recall a single kid back then going into convulsions because of a peanut allergy?

Draft saved Draft deleted