1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds: Has the tide turned on the media bullies?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nothing is over until we decide it is!

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He'll easily make it on the first ballot. And as with Willie Mays and Hank Aaron, when they were added to all-star teams when their stats didn't merit it, Bonds should have been added, even if the fans didn't vote him on. Luckily, they did, and baseball didn't have to decide if it was going to be petty or not.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Not now, he's rolling...

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Another challenge: The ability to use spell check.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I suppose that is true if you live in a world in which people aren't thinking about what Bonds of the last eight years DOESN'T have in common with Henry Aaron and Willie Mays over the last decade of their careers.

I personally don't care if he is an all star. It's all a farce anyhow. And the HOF is going to be littered with players with chemically-enhanced stats from here on out, so I am not sure what excluding Bonds will accomplish. Six or seven years from now, a precedent of some sort will probably have been established, and who knows, maybe Bonds will have come clean and been forgiven by Oprah. So I wouldn't be surprised if he gets elected to the HOF. Who can predict attitudes that far out?

But since Willie Mays and Hank Aaron are the parallels here, it'd sure be nice if Bonds would just be honest (yeah, being a man and standing up, imagine that!) about the means he used to have career years at the age, for example, that Mays' production dropped off significantly, culminating with him stumbling around Shea at the end.

Bonds wouldn't have been mentioned in the same sentence as Aaron and Mays without those suspect years. So if someone wants to discount those years or totally dismiss them, they certainly have reason.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

No one in the Baseball HOF has been a unanimous pick. Bonds is a first-ballot HOF player. Even if he gets the minimum necessary to get in, he'll get in.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just sayin', but Aaron's HR-to-AB ratio was significantly higher at ages 37-39 than it was at any other point of his career.

Bonds had a similar jump from ages 36-39 (2001-04), but he had approached those numbers earlier in his career. Aaron had not.

Not making any judgments here. Just pointing out the "production."

8. creamora

creamora Member

I love this "shut the fuck up" stuff. Nobody here can do shit about what I say or do. My message is going to become even louder and much more profile within the week. Enjoy! Bonds will win in the end no matter what the haters think, say or do. Howyalikeit?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I, for one, love it. You're kind of cute when you puff your cheeks out like that.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Suddenly, these lyrics came to mind:

I'm a man, yes I am, and I can't help but love you so
    I'm a man, yes I am, and I can't help but love you so

Well if I had my choice of matter
    I would rather be with cats
    All engrossed in mental chatter
    Moving where our minds are at
    And relating to each other
    Just how strong our wills can be
    I'm resisting all involvement
    With each groovy chick we see

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I little late to the convo, but I think it's bullet no. 2 that hits the point the most: People have just stopped caring and started to accept that everyone was on steroids. I mean, it's almost 10 years ago that the McGwire/Sosa chase happened, and while it captivated the nation, the biggest knock is that the two were allegedly on steroids. To me, I personally don't care. It captivated me, and had I known it at the time, I still would have been interested. Hell, I went to a Giants game a few weeks back and cheered for Bonds, because I'd like to see him break the record. Baseball has always been full of cheaters, from spitballs to scuffing balls to pine tar to whatever - and that's not going to change that much. And for the Hall of Fame, well, Ty Cobb was an incredible racist, but they still let him in. Everyone has their flaws. It's just whether or not people choose to accept them. Hopefully, they choose to accept all of this and move on. It's pretty much all that can be done.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That take makes the assumption that people cared in the first part, which, outside of a few self-righteous pious so-called baseball purists, is just not true. Nobody cared in 1998, nobody cared in 1970's when football players were doing it and nobody will care ten years from now.

Draft saved Draft deleted