1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds collusion! YEAH!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Dec 7, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

poin --

The overwhelming majority here didn't think that collusion could be proved.

Moving along, do you pitch to him? I sure as hell wouldn't. And I wouldn't walk him, either.

Either dot him or giving him nothing but breaking stuff low and away, and make his decrepit, steroid-riddled ass try and hit something.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

No owner was denying Barry the right to work..they just didn't want to pay him what he wanted to be paid... until he gave the Giants a hometown discount last night.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think Bonds is a lot healthier now and he's going to have a pretty nice season. Considering all the fans he's going to bring to the ballpark, the viewers he will bring to local television, and the merchandise he's going to sell, the $16 million's a pretty smart investment for the Giants.

Also, I disagree with most of you on the collusion issue had there been one. Bonds would have had a pretty good chance of prevailing before an arbitrator had he not received a market rate offer from any club this season. Moot point now.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'd tell my pitchers to pretend they're Bob Gibson and reclaim the inner part of the plate. Keep jamming him inside and throwing brush-back pitches, testing his legs and body to see how quickly he can move back or dive out of the way.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Couldn't agree more. Everybody that hates him will watch the games, especially as (if - factoring in injury) he approaches and passes the record. Every rebellious kid will buy a Bonds jersey, etc.

It's like a PPV boxing match with a fighter everyone wants to see lose: People hate the guy so much, they'll spend money just to root against him.

That's the easiest $16 million the Giants will ever spend. They played it right: They didn't resign him too quickly, but as soon as there seemed like a legitimate threat to their resigning him (Cardinals), they pounced. Good job on all sides, including Bonds', in terms of negotiation strategy.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Bonds aside, can anybody conclusively say that collusion has taken place when the free-agent season is barely a month old? And when there are almost three months until the first spring training game?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, everybody was fascinated by that Bonds on Bonds show. It's going down in espn history next to ESPN Hollywood and ESPN mobile.

The Giants couldn't even sell out Phone Park when Bonds was passing Ruth (White Man's record). And that's with the Cubs in town.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone was talking about collusion with respect to the overall market. That's obviously not the case this year. Before Bonds signed, people had suggested that owners may have gotten together to freeze BB out of the market.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fuck pitching him inside. I'd be going after his head. Hey, tell the organ player to give us some CHIN MUSIC to go along with our peanuts and crack-er-jack!!! ;D

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I shouldn't have written "Bonds aside" because I didn't mean the overall market. I just found it odd that the first post in this thread suggested collusion/blackballing when it's still the first week of December.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Barry Zito's still on the market. Collusion!!

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Ruth was in the dust before Bonds was born. Throat cancer left him in the dust.

As for the "pitching inside" tactic, well, if you're going to do it to Bonds and hope for maximum, uh, effect, you should throw low and inside. You know, in the knee-to-ankle range. Mix in an earhole now and then to make it look good, but to quote the rogue sensei from one of the Karate Kid movies, "If a man can't stand, he can't fight." Not advocating intentionally injury someone. Just sayin ...

Draft saved Draft deleted