1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds begins HOF campaign

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Every guy who has put on a uniform the last 25 years is dirty in some way.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

First of all, in my experience...any guy who says he doesnt care what people think absolutely cares what people think. It's the same as, "I don't read the papers."

As for Bonds and the HOF, my position is that baseball knew what these guys were doing, but ignored it because it needed the HR chase after 1994. To blackball these guys now is doing Selig's dirty work -- the same work he didn't have the balls to do from 1998-2004.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Before the cheating, Bonds wasn't even the best player of his era. So I find it difficult to place him as the greatest of all-time.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How do you figure this? He had three MVP awards -- and it really should have been four, 1991 was one of the more ridiculous "intangibles + I hate the other guy" votes in MLB -- and had seven years in a row with an OPS above 1.000. Plus a 40/40 season, an average well over 30 SBs and a Gold Glove just about every year.

I agree he wasn't headed for Ruth/Mays status without the juice, but I am having a hard time coming up with a player who was better in that time.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would guess YGBFKM was thinking Ken Griffey Jr. I'd have to mull that one over for a while.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

early to mid 90s from what i recall it was pretty much Bonds or Griffey as the best player.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i don't remember bonds retiring.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

just ask manky. it was donniefuckingballgame.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Bonds never actually retired. No one signed him after the 2007 season.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

that kinda was my point.

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Gaylord Perry broke a rule that contains in game tests to check for violations and required him to break the rule during the game - on the mound. Umpires check balls/gloves/pockets. The batter taps a doctored ball to the opponents dugout, a base coach, or to another umpire, and you can get caught. Even the batter can say "check that ball" or pick up his own tapped foul ball and look at it.

Taking PED's (which are illegal on every square inch of soil in the nation) are more sinister regardless of their effects on your stat line simply because there is no in game test for them.

There is an enormous difference between doctoring a ball or bat and PED's.

12. That's not what I said, meant or implied. Just saying Perry was an admitted cheat who was later elected and is looked upon fondly by many, for whatever reason.
    I like Perry, always have. Not sure I would have voted him into the HOF though.

Draft saved Draft deleted