1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonafide Baseball Hall of Famers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think he was speaking more from a fan's perspective about the feat but he is a seamhead, no question about it.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He has time to improve, but right now I put him far behind Mussina and schilling (I draw my line between them), and behing Cone, Hershiser, Wells, stewart, Pettite, Morris etc. none of whom should get in.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

On that logic, Bud Smith was one more great night from being a Hall of Famer.

The Hall rewards extended greatness. Buehrle hasn't been great, and he hasn't done anything for an extended period.

And if he were that great, I wouldn't still need to check how to spell his damn name.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yes, but he has three Cy Young awards (to go along with two second place finishes) and his run from 97-03 might be the best seven year run by a pitcher, ever. Especially when you consider that it was during the steroids era.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The idea that Mark Buehrle will make the Hall of Fame is a stretch. The idea that he's a shoo-in is ridiculous.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Since 2001 (Buehrle debuted in 2000), he's got the second-most wins in baseball, behind Roy Oswalt, which obviously makes him the winningest pitcher in the AL. I know wins are over-rated in a discussion about pitching, so if you judge him by his era, it's a good sign.

he obviously needs to pitch past his 2011 deal, probably until he's 37 or 38. he's no shoo-in, by any means, but i think he's got a puncher's chance.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't just look at his era, look at his ERA. The man has a 3.76 career ERA to go with 133 wins. That is not a Hall of Fame resume, even with the two great games.

8. mb

mb Active Member

I'm still trying to get over the idea that Pedro Martinez is anything other than a lock.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think it's the way he's closing out his career that may give people doubt. No question that he's had an HOF career.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He is a lock. Not tainted by steroids. Second highest career winning percentage among pitchers with 200 wins (close to Whitey Ford). Three Cy Young Awards. Career sub-3 ERA.

If he isn't in on the first ballot, the world makes no sense.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Guaranteed" his place? Meaning if he shredded his arm tomorrow and never pitched again, he's in? Laughable.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Despite those "awful 3-4 years," his career ERA is still 2.91. Given the dominant seasons and the Cy Young awards, he's a lock, even if he does tack on another couple of months of lousy at the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted