1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bolt -- world record...again.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 16, 2009.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Did he look like he was trying this time? Because he sure didn't at the Olympics.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I can't wait to see how fair this guy continues to push the limits.

He is a freak.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I know that he doesn't run the 400 because he doesn't want to put the work in. But I would really like to see what he could do in the 400 if he even decided to concentrate on it for a year. I think with his body type, he could run times in the 400 that make his 100 and 200 times look pedestrian.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Agree. With those long strides, I'd think he could completely destroy the 400 record. Of course, there's not much money in being the fastest 400 man in the world.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We're a tab, and I'm putting on my front.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

His last 3 strides were a jog.

What next; 9.5; 9.0?

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

He originally was a 400 runner. Glen Mills turned him into a sprinter. He may still try it again.

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

Why aren't there more skeptics on this thread?

Last person I saw make the 100m look that easy was Marion Jones.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I heard a story on NPR the other day where a physicist calculated his Olympic time would've been 9.55 had he not showboated.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You know something was incredible if it earned a holy crap from spnited, the board's foremost cynic. Bolt may be the single freakiest freak athlete we've ever seen.

And, as a side note, how much do you think Tyson Gay resents Bolt's rising out of nowhere to become the greatest sprinter ever right when he was about to seize dominance of the sprinting world. Bolt just TOTALLY stole Gay's thunder. He's now Alydar to Bolt's Affirmed.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I suppose I'm not skeptical because I'm not allowing myself to be.

There's a part of me that believes he has to be cheating to suddenly be destroying the record and the competition the way he is, but dammit I just love watching him go. Plus, I bet he's been tested 100 times since the Olympics, not that that guarantees he's clean.

I guess I'm like a baseball fan back the McGwire-Sosa summer.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yes, he did start as a 400 runner. But I believe he switched to the 100/200 because he didn't want to put in the work to be great at the 400.

Draft saved Draft deleted