1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boise State- Oregon Sucker Punch....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pac-10 says they'll review the incident, then decide on discipline:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4445891

FWIW, Pac-10 commish Larry Scott was in Boise for the game, though I'm not sure how clear his view of the punch and its aftermath was.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How long until he accuses the Boise State kid of saying racist things to him?

It shouldn't have happened, but it's a 1 or 2 game suspension at best.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't know. Blount seemed fairly contrite after the game. Of course, his tune might change depending on the length of his suspension.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it was the two of them alone, maybe. But Peterson was right there, and the way he went after his player for taunting suggests he heard the whole thing.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll go out on a limb and say that this is something that Larry Scott didn't deal with very often when he was running the Women's Tennis Association.

6. Mizzougrad96

I've seen much, much worse get one game.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The punch is one game. The going after the crowd is maybe two more.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sorry, mizzou, a one- or two-game suspension is just stupid. As I mentioned on the other thread, if this happens in the "real world," there's a good chance Blount is charged with assault. You can't sucker punch someone, then proceed to act like a lunatic and not expect a harsh punishment.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Just off topic a bit, this incident is a microcosm of why newspapers are dead. The incident happened too late for at least eastern papers meaning it won't get into print until Saturday. The incident would have been 36 hours old and talked about for two and a half days on the net, sportstalk, and on daily tv talkshows.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Blah, blah, blah.
    That's always been true for anything on the West Coast and, quite frankly, an Oregon player punching a Boise State player after a game isn't exactly a national story.
    Tip of the spear on a larger story about sportsmanship or post-game incidents, but even if you do run with it on Saturday, it is more of a reaction, this is what happened and this is what will happen to the players involved.
    So no different than what the West Coast papers would run on Saturday anyway.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The kid who got punched should press charges.

If this happened in the real world, Blount would be expelled from school. What an ignorant piece of shit.

EDIT: Love how after he lands the punch, he backs up running away. Typical shit. Doesn't mind throwing a cheap shot but gets the hell out of the way if he thinks trouble's coming. Too bad his homeboys weren't with him to get his back.

12. Mizzougrad96

I don't consider that a sucker punch. A guy got in his face and he hit him.

He shouldn't have done it. He should be suspended.

Let's not pretend the Boise State player is Rudy Tomjanovich.

Draft saved Draft deleted