1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boise State gets 3-years probation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Boise State football gets a three-year probation and loses nine scholarships for 63 documented violations; who knows how many went undetected. No postseason ban for football (the only meaningful punishment), but the NCAA really put the hammer down and slapped a postseason band on women's tennis.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/NCAA-places-Boise-State-on-probation-and-cuts-scholarships-091311

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In fairness, I seem to recall the more serious violations were by the women's tennis team.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

And the average value of each improper benefit was less than $2.00 if I recall correctly. Basically, they allowed recruits to sleep on the couch in players apartments and took them to Taco Bell

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, "you watch your step OSU or else I'm gonna.....gonna...."

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Non-rev sport coaches, especially ones that rely on a lot of overseas athletes, pull shit that would make John Blake think "Man, that's fucked up."

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I know some of the football violations were minor but you do not get three years probation, and lose nine scholarships, for only $2 in extra benefits per affected student-athlete.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Or fire your long-time athletic director.

I'm thinking the non-rev sports are tougher to keep a leash on - most coaches aren't "full-timers" and have to rely on additional work to feed their family, they don't get a lot of interest or attention from boosters, they don't have as many scholarships and I've got to think there are fewer resources for compliance. Think about the player who don't get the same resources as football or men's hoops but have to abide the same rules.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Uhhh, no. They are just eager to get as many point scorers as they can and they play fast and loose with the rules. You're way off with the suppositions.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is the tennis court blue?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If it's not it should be.

Blue is the color of choice among the pros.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted