1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Thomson HR books

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Absolutely. Mazeroski's HR won the World Series for a team that hadn't won a championship in 35 years, and beat the scary Yankees in a Series where the Yankees' three wins were by a score of 200-2.

Thomson's HR is a great moment, but it won the NL pennant for a team that went on to lose the World Series.

2. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

In that regard, it's like Fisk's home run, Elway's drive and Jordan's shot. What do those things really mean, when their teams lost in the next round (or in Fisk's case, the next night)?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

While I’m not nearly old enough to remember Thomson’s HR, I think winning a pennant meant a lot more before divisional play, play-offs, wild card teams, and inter-league play.

Sure winning the WS was the ultimate goal, but winning a pennant was still a championship in its own right and celebrated much more than it is today.

I think.

4. A lot. You still won your league. You think Cubs fans would like to win a National League pennant? Think they would consider it meaningless without a World Series victory? Think the Rockies considered their N.L pennant last season meaningless? The Tigers in 2006?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Especially if it was in the NY intramural league ::)

(No offense meant . . . just couldn't resist).

6. Smasher_Sloan

True, but that isn't relevant to the Thomson-Mazeroski comparison.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Honestly, there's no other book on that specific moment/game/season that can compare to Prager's. I second Waylon's suggestion to go through the bibliography of that book for further reading. One book would be "The Shot Heard 'Round the World," by Ray Robinson. I haven't read "The Era: 1947-57" by Roger Kahn, but I'm sure that's pretty good, too.

I'd also recommend "The Boys of Summer" (Kahn) or "The Lip" (Ezkenazi) or one of the Willie Mays biographies (Hano or Einstein).

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, Maz's homer broke a tie. Thomson brought the Giants back from two runs down....and capped the "miracle" comeback. I don't think it ever mattered to the Giants or their fans that the Yankees beat them in the World Series that followed. What they had accomplished was pretty damn special in its own right.

Besides, if you're a Yankees fan, what do you remember/think about the 1951 World Series? Joe DiMaggio's swan song and Mickey Mantle fucked up his knee for the first time. Yeah, the team won it all, but would a Yankee fan trade that WS win for another year or two of Joltin' Joe, or for a healthier Mick, or both? Damn right.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Oh, I'll bet losing the WS to the Yankees actually did matter.

10. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Add Pujols' homer off Lidge in 2005 NLCS to that. Astros still won the series, though it screwed up the Astros' rotation for the World Series.

11. Oh, wah. And Bud Selig made them open the roof. Etc., etc., etc. The White Sox swept their asses and were already 7-1 in the playoffs coming in. You would have thought that they got robbed in the bottom of the ninth inning of Game 7 the way some Astros fans talk sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted