1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Knight on Calipari: How is he still coaching?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Do you have a link to anything Calipari is even accused of having done?
    Because that would be just as precious a find as what you're asking.
    A wanna-be agent (allegedly) gives money to Calipari's best player at UMass. Is that Calipari's fault? Seriously. Love to hear how you'd explain that one.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Smoke, fire, twoback.

No, Calipari's never had anything stick to him personally. The good ones never do. That's why you have people. But the history of the programs he's been at is more than enough smoke for there to be an assumption of general knowledge about the goings on.

Still doesn't mean Knight gets to wipe away all of his bullshit and point fingers at someone else.

3. sportbook

sportbook Member

Choked? Please. Also, if you knew Neil Reed you'd want to do much worse than choke him.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And what happened to Memphis' Final Four run? Is that still in the books?

If Knight has anything, it's integrity. He just has trouble dealing with people.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Smoke/fire.
    Great journalistic standard by which to live.
    Media see smoke where they want, ignore it elsewhere. They decide who is a good guy and who is a bad guy.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd rather have my kid getting extra cash under the table than getting bullied and choked, but it's close.

7. sportbook

sportbook Member

Neil Reed is actually coaching basketball at Pioneer Valley High School in California. When I first saw his team's scores (they are 1-5) I thought he was coaching football. Maybe he should have paid more attention while at IU and actually learned something. Heck, it looks like Mike Davis even learned something.

12/01/09 @ Templeton (Templeton, CA) 19-35 (L)
    12/08/09 vs. Santa Maria (Santa Maria, CA) 35-42 (L)
    12/10/09 @ Coast Union (Cambria, CA) 39-30 (W)
    12/11/09 7:30 PM @ Mission Prep (San Luis Obispo, CA) 29-51 (L)
    12/12/09 TBA @ Paso Robles 35-48 (L)
    12/15/09 7:30 PM @ San Luis Obispo (San Luis Obispo, CA) * 29-45 (L)

Maybe one of these days his team will crack 40.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, good Christ. Knight wasn't doing it journalistically, and me posting it here doesn't make it journalistic either.

Your arguments are a joke.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'd rather have my kid graduate college and learn a few lessons about working hard to achieve his goals, but it's close.

10. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

It depends. If my kid is a stud player who is good enough to be in the NBA, then I would want him to play for Calipari. I wouldn't mind the extra cash under the table or the violations because Calipari is a good coach (although he is a sleazy recruiter) who is going to help my kid get to the NBA.
    If my kid was an average player who's bball career would end after college, then I would want him to play for Knight because I know my kid would get his education. Knight gets his players prepared for the real world.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

do they play with a shot clock in that conference?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Taking the question seriously, my oldest makes me want to choke him, so I don't think I'd want him around Knight.

Draft saved Draft deleted