1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Grich should be in the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Oh, for the love of Christ. It's exactly what you meant. It's exactly why you posted this trifle of an article. And you know it.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, I posted it because it is a perfect example of how "statistically savvy" journalists -- such as saber saint Rob Neyer -- can manipulate contrived statistics to show that mediocre players like Bobby Grich deserve consideration for the Hall of Fame.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Did Rob Neyer write that Grich deserves consideration? Did Keith Law?

I must have missed that graf.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I was referring to Rosenhacks' line:

As the Baseball Writers’ Association of America finally begins to open its doors to more statistically savvy Internet journalists — Rob Neyer and Keith Law of ESPN.com were admitted this year — it should give such journalists the chance to express their support for every player worthy of induction.

Talk about reading comprehension.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

So Rosenheck writes that Bobby Grich is worth of Hall of Fame consideration. He then mentions that with the BBWAA now including sabermatricians Neyer and Law, that it gives them the opportunity to support every player worthy of induction. And because one sabermatrician, Rosenheck (is he a BBWAA member?), believes Grich is worthy, it must mean ALL sabermatricians (including Neyer and Law) believe it.

Logic wept uncontrollably upon seeing this thread.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Because one dude thinks Grich should be in the Hall of Fame and admires Rob Neyer, so it must be that Neyer supports Grich for the Hall. Flawless logic.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Again, dick, where did I say ALL? (And please learn to spelll sabermEtricians)

And circus, where did I say Neyer supports Grich for the Hall?

Now you're just making shit up ... kind of like VORP

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You didn't say it directly, but it sure seems like your intent is to shit on Neyer and Law by conflating them with an idiotic argument neither of them had anything to do with.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

You're really going to attack someone for a misspelling? Really? You?

And now we get to the crux of this thread. It has no point. Even though you repeatedly quote the graf that mentions Neyer and Law, it has nothing to do with Neyer and Law. It's all about some guy most have never heard of and the fact that you're butthurt because the BBWAA now includes S-A-B-E-R-M-E-T-R-I-C-I-A-N-S.

Awesome. You should do this for a living.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tyrannosaurus Spnited has reared his ugly head.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Old Person's Syndrome.

Draft saved Draft deleted