1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Grich should be in the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 21, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

... along with Ted Simmons, Lou Whitaker, Darrell Evans, Dwight Evans ...

Further proof that "statistically savvy" sabermetricians often have no clue what makes a Hall of Fame player.
    This is among the most absurd things I've ever read.

Grich and Simmons have been retired for 20 years, so their cases will have to be taken up by the veterans committee no matter what. But by eliminating the 5 percent rule, the Hall could give Whitaker and the Evanses another shot, as well as other candidates deserving of consideration, like Will Clark, Keith Hernandez, Willie Randolph, Bret Saberhagen and Dave Stieb. As the Baseball Writers’ Association of America finally begins to open its doors to more statistically savvy Internet journalists — Rob Neyer and Keith Law of ESPN.com were admitted this year — it should give such journalists the chance to express their support for every player worthy of induction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/sports/baseball/21score.html?_r=1&ref=sports

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Not much for reading comprehension on a Sunday morning, eh?

No offense to Dan Rosenheck, but who the fuck is Dan Rosenheck? And what does this have to do with sabermetrics? I can't even find the word mentioned in the piece. The only thing this seems to be about is abolishing the five percent rule. How does sabermetrics play into this? Or did you just post this to start shit?

Enlighten us.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hell yes, Bobby Grich should be in the Hall of Fame.

[​IMG]

Up next, the campaign for Brian Downing.

Sincerely,

The Guy Who Grew Up in the 70s Rooting for the Angels

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He didn't mention the word, but he talked the lingo. And agree with spnited. That's why I'll weep if sabermetrics ever becomes the main criterion for the Hall.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, I'll ask this then.

Why is it certain numbers have been supposedly sacrosanct when it comes to the Hall, (hits, homers, wins, ERA, etc.) and others (those fancy new measures of a player's value like OPS, VORP, ERA+) are automatically dismissed as sabermetric geekery?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

How's this dick:

As mainstream baseball reporters have become more familiar with the sophisticated quantitative tools now available to assess players’ value,

His combined on-base and slugging percentages were 24 percent above the league average, a figure surpassed by only six players with more than 1,400 games caught in the majors.

As the Baseball Writers’ Association of America finally begins to open its doors to more statistically savvy Internet journalists — Rob Neyer and Keith Law of ESPN.com were admitted this year —

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

So because this one (1) guy thinks the Hall of Fame is like Little League Baseball (TROPHIES FOR EVERYONE!), you're able to apply his opinion to everyone who values sabermetrics?

I love your logic.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Not without buying a ticket.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bobby Grich? Darrell Evans? Proof positive that one downside (there are upsides, too) of the invention of more baseball statistics is that it allows specious arguers more opportunites to cherry pick numbers to bolster their fraudulent contentions.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm guessing dickens' VORP is rather low.

And thank you Gee for a bit of logic.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Because they are, roll the bones.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously. GBH, VORP is total bullshit based on some seven-tiered formula created by some geek who loved too long in his mother's basement.

To equate OPS and VORP is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted