1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Bowden Retires - IT DESERVES ITS OWN THREAD!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Nov 30, 2009.

1. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

The problem appears to be that nobody thinks about Florida State anymore.

It's not just that the team is losing more than it used to. A lot more. But did you see the stands for FSU's last two home games? There were --- AT LEAST ---- 25,000 empty seats for each game. One was Homecoming.

That's a MUCH BIGGER problem than the four-loss and six-loss seasons.
    At the end of the day, this was not going to ever end well. Because Bowden apparently did not ever want to leave.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, folks, but he should have retired gracefully five years ago.
    His legacy right now is one more guy who stayed too long.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

You young'uns might not remember, but Florida State was horrendous until Bowden took over. FSU was a perennial homecoming opponent through the mid-70s.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Is this a done deal? I'm in Thailand at the moment and can't get the Democrat page to load but SI links to an AP story that says he's denying it.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Loved how SportsCenter was saying this morning how two big-time college jobs are now open: Notre Dame and Florida State.

Nice work, fellas.

6. Damn straight. FSU owes every dad gum thing it earned to Bowden.
    Yes, he should have retired a while back, but he will be missed.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Gets a little dusty at the end.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First, Jenn Sterger's implants and now Bobby Bowden. Dark days at FSU.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had the pleasure of dealing with Bobby a few times. Nicest big-time coach I ever dealt with and it's not even close. One time my editors flew me in to do a feature on whether Weinke was too old to win the Heisman and I had a couple other stories to get and Bowden spent about an hour with me in his office. He had remembered me from my visit a few years before and could not have been nicer or more accomodating.

I wish there were more like him, but I fear we will never have another big time coach like him.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Isn't he still in the phone book?

11. Mizzougrad96

He was as of 6-7 years ago.

12. Mizzougrad96

Nobody retires gracefully anymore. You either go out too early and are rumored for every opening in the next five years or you get pushed out.

His legacy is that he's one of the best coaches of all-time.

Didn't FSU go 15 straight years ranked in the top 10? That's fucking amazing in this day and age.

Draft saved Draft deleted