1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Bowden Retires - IT DESERVES ITS OWN THREAD!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Nov 30, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

For fuck's sake, on three different threads this has been talked about and on all three people suggested it deserved its own thread. Here it is.....

http://nolesports.tallahassee.com/article/20091130/FSU03/91130018/Bowden-expected-to-retire-Tuesday

What is his legacy going to be?

I'd argue he is one of the five greatest coaches of all time but I can't quite figure out where to fit him in that top five.

2. Crash

Crash Active Member

Seems kinda weak that he's retiring via statement.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very weak.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We have a running Week 14 thread, guys.

:D

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Is this where we talk about his impact on the Steelers?

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Did you have to type in all caps in the thread title?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's 80 and he was just forced out. Weak maybe. But he didn't want it to end this way. He's having a tough time dealing with it, even if he was only a figure head. Love him or hate him, it's hard to get too down on him for not dealing with this well.

8. zagoshe

Does anyone have any idea why this is a good idea? Does this perhaps suggest that he is not totally on board with this?

9. zagoshe

HELL YES, IT REFLECTED ALL THE SCREAMING ABOUT STARTING A THREAD ON THE OTHER THREADS.....

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Dude, chill.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Early in my sports radio career, me and another young reporter were trying to set up a college sports show in Toronto. So, the two of us, being young and stupid, called Florida State to do an interview with him. He actually did it. I didn't understand the significance of it then, but, as I look back, I can't believe he actually agreed to talk to us. This was 1994, just after the Seminoles won a national championship.

It was also after the Free Shoes University scandal broke, and I asked Bowden if they were going to vacate the national championship. He sounded like he wanted to kill me. But, generally, he was friendly and folksy, giving good answers.

I laugh about it now, but is there another coach who would have done it? Not too many.

12. zagoshe

You chill, I'm obviously joking.

Draft saved Draft deleted