1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Stoops=Fraud

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 2, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Can we put this "Bob Stoops=genius" stuff to rest now? He out-coached Bobby Bowden in the 2001 national championship game, which we know by now wasn't that hard a task. Here's Oklahoma in bowls since:

2002 Cotton Bowl: snoozed past Arkansas 10-3 ... what a thriller that was.
    2003 Rose Bowl: beat Washington State 34-14 ... big effing deal
    2004 Sugar Bowl (BCS championship): upset by LSU 21-14.
    2005 Orange Bowl (BCS championship): hammered by USC 55-17.
    2006 Holiday Bowl: beats Oregon 17-14 ... ho bleeping hum.
    2007 Fiesta Bowl: Stoops the defensive genius gives up 43 to Boise effing State.

I think Florida might be glad he turned down the job when Spurrier left.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Don't forget the 2003/04 Big 12 Championship choke job.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Call him a fraud all you want, but most coaches don't get their team into title games three times in five years, let alone three times in a decade. Stoops is a good coach who's lost a few big games. And won a national title.

I wish KU could have a "fraud" like Stoops anytime.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Naitonal champs are the only ones not frauding the world, right?

If you can't win it all, YOU SUCK!

5. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

yeah, i know OU was doing really well before stoops got there. those john blake teams were powerhouses.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm merely pointing out that while it's true Stoops has a national championship, he's done nothing with his opportunities since. And for some strange reason, he's escaping the kind of criticism that Bowden, Frank Beamer and yes, Mack Brown, used to get for not winning the big one.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Exactly. If you ain't first, you're last.

And once you've been first, you are a fraud if you don't remain there.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Probably because he has won the big one.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's only if you count winning conference titles and appearing in BCS bowls as "nothing." You can't get the chance to "fail" if you don't do better than the other 117 teams who didn't make it.

Bowden was criticized somewhat. . . until he won the big one. I sure don't recall much criticism of Bowden from 1993-1999 when he won two national titles and his team won 12 consecutive bowl games and had a dozen consecutive top-5 finishes.

Beamer has never even beaten a Top 10 team, I believe (and I know he hasn't beaten a top-5 team. The criticism of Beamer goes far beyond "winning the big one."

Mack Brown was criticized . . . until he won the big one.

As has been pointed out, Stoops has won the big one.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

You're a dolt. Let's see, what did Stoops have to contend with this year... hmm. His QB and another player did something idiotic and were dismissed. His Heisman candidate RB broke his collarbone. Yet all the guy did was run the Big 12 table.

Yup. Sounds like a fraud to me. Moron.

I'd wager there isn't a program in the country not named Ohio State and USC that wouldn't shit a pile of cash in a second to get Stoops.

11. I have no love for OU, but you are clinically insane.

Previous posts have noted his achievements go far beyond "fraud" levels. Don't forget Stoops also tossed his starting QB and best o-lineman before the season. To suggest he is a fraud is advertising your ignorance.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Who wears a visor during a game played inside, anyway?

Draft saved Draft deleted