1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Sheppard retires at age 99

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

Zinkoff is one of the first PA announcers I'd heard with a recognizable style, though my memories are more of Julius Erving loping onto the court, and Zinkoff screaming, "The DOC-tor, Julius ERRRRRRRRRRRRR-ving"

Also from the old days of the 3-to-make-2 penalty. "This...is...the....PENALTY...shot"

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

It was Zink who made "Twwwoooo Minutes left in the Quarter" and "Twwwwo minutes left in the ball game " a happening phrase.

3. KP

KP Active Member

The Red Sox lineup wasn't too shabby either Doerr, DiMaggio, Williams among them.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Bob Sheppard announced as if the game was High Mass, baseball or football, and that he was wearing a tuxedo in doing so. The ultimate class act.
    The Yankees had a night game the day Bart Giamatti died. ESPN played Sheppard's announcement for a moment of silence. It sounded as if he was asking for St. Peter to open the pearly gates.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I disagree that no one outside the Bronx would care.

Live on television, his introduction of the players would give me chills, like I had to give a moment of silence.
    Always wanted to pop my head into the booth and watch him work. But I figured it'd be unseemly, for some reason, like pulling back the curtain and seeing that the great and powerful Oz wasn't so great or powerful.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

There was nothing to see whn Sheppard was working.
    He'd be sitting there reading a book between innings if there were no announcements and sometimes even was reading between batters, with one eye on the field.
    Totally understated delivery, totally dignified gentleman, always friendly, always had a smile.

Draft saved Draft deleted