1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Sheppard retires at age 99

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 26, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, but resurrecting an 18-month old thread that says he'll return to Yankee Stadium is not nearly sufficient for the greatest voice in the history of sports PA announcers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091125&content_id=7717078&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Worth posting twice:

Man, he comes off as so dignified and distinguished and raises the hair on the reader's arms even in his QUOTES. I could READ this man speak all day long.

The saddest thing I've ever heard at Yankee Stadium was Sheppard asking for a moment of silence the morning after Josh Hancock's death. I thought that it had to be the dream of just about every ballplayer to have his name announced by Bob Sheppard at Yankee Stadium, even if they didn't realize the magnitude of the honor until it actually occurred.

And yet the first time Hancock had his name announced by Sheppard--Hancock never pitched at Yankee Stadium--it was to announce his death. So unspeakably sad.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've basically figured he was already retired, since he hasn't worked in two years.

I hope he's at least able to come to the Stadium for one game to be honored, and if possible, to announce one more inning.

4. KP

KP Active Member

I would think God sounds similar to Bob Sheppard.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Very nice.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Every PA announcer should follow his lead. The clowns working in the NBA from Miami to Denver are jokers. Bob Shepard is the voice of God (though Alan Roach is pretty close), and the approach to games should be followed in his footsteps.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Jeter, but the fact that he had Sheppard record his introduction and still uses it for his at-bats I think shows what tremendous respect he has for the history of baseball. Jeter is adored by fans, makes millions of dollars, has won five World Series and is at the top of his profession, but he's honored and humbled to simply have his name announced by the same man who announced names like Joe Dimaggio (in his final season), Mickey Mantle and Reggie Jackson.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

A nice man with no ego but his voice is scary. I will miss him.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You wonder if Sheppard will still be heard next year at the stadium during Jeter's at-bats. Hell, that would be a class act on Derek's part.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No one outside the Bronx really gives a shit.

:)

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes he will. Jeter had Sheppard record the intro so he could use as long as he plays.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Heard that Jeter is pretty shy when it comes to girls and would have Bob Sheppard make the first call for him to arrange dates. That is how he first got hooked up with Minka Kelly.

"I'm calling on behalf of Derek Jeter......."

Draft saved Draft deleted