1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Seger on Leno

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Sep 15, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

right now. first tv apperance ever? Amazing.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I always wondered what happened to him.

My theory was MTV overplayed his Shakedown video in the late 80s, followed by the non-stop Like A Rock Chevy commercials, and he went insane with the knowledge that he annoyed the fuck out of America for the better part of a decade.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Seger is 61. Saw an article recently where he said he was going out on tour because he'll be too old to do it if he waits any longer. Yikes.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Boy, and he looks every bit his 61. Those teeth! Yikes.

He just confirmed he's going to tour by saying he'll have his bike with him (apparently, he'd yet to actually confirm it, only said to a Detroit paper that he needs to undergo a physical first so that he doesn't have a stroke on stage).

His peak-era singles are timeless classics. I can't imagine the new stuff will compare (this new song is pretty good but sounds as if he's hoping to cash in with folks looking for a good song to dance with their mom/dad to at their wedding) nor that he'll be kicking all sorts of ass on this tour, but I really want to see him.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm pretty sure the coin he made off the Chevy commercials made it really easy to release three albums in 15 years (and five in 24 years).

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I have to admit, my favorite song of his is probably his most depressing: The Famous Final Scene.
    And I don't know if there's ever been a more depressing song.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I've told this story before, but I know we have some tour groups here today:

I was in the supermarket check-out line and the in-house music system was playing "Like A Rock." The teenaged cashier turned to her friend at the next register and said, "Why are they playing that truck commercial?"

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Turn the Page -- not the Metallica version -- is one of my favorites. Thought it was Seger, but when I searched iTunes, it wasn't in his catalog of music. Was he the frontman for a group at the time?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

An SportsJournalists.com tour group. What would that be like?

"Over there, that guy who is giving off a pungent odor and ranting and raving about how much the Mets and Herm Edwards suck, is BYH. He used to be called BitterYoungHack, but, well, he's not that young anymore.

"In that sealed room are 21 and Boom, SportsJournalists.com's first couple. (Tourist: "Can we go in there?") No you cannot.

"There's Bubbler, with a small television next to him. He watches Three's Company all day and night.

"There's Moderator1. He's the bald guy whose forehead is perpetually bleeding. He bashes his head against the computer whenever somebody posts something stupid.

"There's Hockeybeat. Be careful. He hates tourists.

"There's TheBigRagu. He does not exist.

"And there's Spnited, the guy wearing a top hat and reading The Sporting News. He's our oldest and least hip poster. If you get close, you can smell the age."

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The Who on Letterman.
    At the same time.
    No contest.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

One of my favorite silly-looking album covers of all time:
    [​IMG]

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

IIRC, Seger was a holdout on letting people download his music -- until recently. I agree with you on Turn the Page, great song that only got more love when Metallica covered it. Good choice though because it was a great cover they did.

Draft saved Draft deleted