1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Knight to be inducted in Indiana U. Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by brettwatson, Aug 22, 2009.

1. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Bob Kravitz on IU inducting Bob Knight into it's Hall of Fame.....Think the General will show up?
    --
    http://www.indystar.com/article/20090822/SPORTS15/908220362/Bob+Knight+to+be+inducted+into+IU+s+Hall+of+Fame

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think he just might. As Kravitz said, nine years is a lot of water under the bridge and the people at IU he despised are all gone. So why pass up a trip back and all that adulation?

As an IU grad, however, I'm disappointed that Knight is in the same HoF class as legendary soccer coach Jerry Yeagley. As if Yeagley and IU soccer didn't live in the basketball shadow enough while he was coach, now he's gotta share his induction with Knight.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yeagley should have been in the year after he retired.

Guy was nothing but class at IU.

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Yeagley deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for the man he is, before the coach he was.

Knight deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for the coach he was, before the man he is.

Still, love 'em both! Go Hoosiers!!!!

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

In his sport, Yeagley was every bit the coach Knight was.

He just wasn't a prick about it.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeagley was a class act indeed, IU soccer was my first beat and he couldn't have been more accommodating. He started soccer at IU as a club sport and knew from day one how important it was to treat the student reporters like gold.

If he had been a douchebag, who knows, maybe I'd have been turned off on sportswriting and chosen a different path. So thanks for nothing, coach.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When soccer played its final four in Richmond from 1995-98, I jumped on that beat because it kept me away from covering football. Jerry Yeagley was one of the first coaches I met (I actually went to IU 3-4 times to cover games - papers had money then) and he was my ace in the hole all four years. Always returned calls, always willing to chat, turned me on to lots of good stories.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The scenario I could see happening: He does come back, warm and fuzzy feelings for all at the beginning, and then he ruins it during his induction speech.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Stoney, he will bury himself upside down so you can kiss his ass!

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I think he'll go back. He may have despised the people, but Knight loves Indiana.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I will bet you putting Yeagley in the same year was not an accident. I'm sure seeing him honored is an inducement to get Knight to show up for his own ceremony.

Draft saved Draft deleted