1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Knight slaps player ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Nov 14, 2006.

1. trounced

trounced Active Member

This might be different if he was in some type of rage when he raised the kid's chin. He wasn't. Talk about overblown nonsense.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Besides being a bully, Bob Knight is an asshole.

I wouldn't let my sons anywhere near that guy.

And no, he doesn't teach respect. He teaches fear and abuses his position of power.

And althought I don't normally advocate violence I'd love to see some hockey-style justice meted out to that prick

. Get someone like Brian McGrattan to jersey him and pound the everlasting crap out of him.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree this looked pretty minor... but, it is ridiculous to characterize it as Knight upholding standards of behavior and discipline. It is a bully with self-control issues over-reacting becuase one of his kids looked down while Knight was talking to him. That's all the kid did -- look down. He didn't mouth off or engage in some other ridiculous behavior.

I would have loved to see the kid slap him back.

And the ESPN is working against Bobby Knight conspiracy crap is a joke. It's not worth any response beyond that.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The player should have stood there and enjoyed it.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

Nor would he let your sons anywhere near him or his program.

6. Boy, there are going to be some fights over the paste left at the bottom of the jar around here today.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

What bothered me more than the hit (not terribly appropriate, but it's hard for me to get worked up about it, either) was Gene Keady's comment on "Mike and Mike" about how if the parents had hit that Texas Tech player when he was a kid, then Knight wouldn't have had to do it.

So when a college kid lowers his eyes while getting a tongue-lashing for committing a foul, that's a sign that he was raised the wrong way? Well, thank God for Division 1 college basketball coaches who are taking the initiative, righting the wrongs and restoring old-fashioned values to America. If I were Prince's parents, I'd smack Keady across the face. Who the hell is he to be such a dick?

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If my child were ever touched by a Bobby Knight, there would be no chest-thumping nods to old-school discipline. He and I would march at 20 paces and I'd be eating breakfast at Shoney's when it's all over.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Trounced, I have a son who plays college football. I don't need advice on what makes a good role model.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And we barely have a quorum of young'uns here.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So you'd both lose?

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Self-discipline is part of discipline. And that's where Knight fails time and again.

Draft saved Draft deleted