1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Knight slaps player ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Nov 14, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Your take?

2. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

If you haven't seen the video, we've got it.

Just a feeling, but ESPN does not want him to break Dean Smith's record. Knight is getting the treatment from everyone at the network, and it's only a matter of time before Texas Tech is forced to step in and do something. What exactly, I'm not sure.

3. He's a sociopath. Always has been.
    Slap him down, hard, right now because it can only get worse. And it absolutely will.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, sure he's crazy. We've known that for 15 years.

He's served his punishment and has -- as far as I can tell -- cleaned up his act a little.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Dean Smith doesn't want him to break Dean Smith's record.

Nor does John Wooden.

And put me in Fenian's corner on this one. Knight knows exactly what he's doing when he does it, and he (thinks he) can get away with it because Gerald Myers is in his corner.

6. He is about 10 feet away from an assault-with-a-deadly complaint when he fired the vase over his secretary's head. He has physically assaulted his own players at TWO schools now, and he probably did it at Army, too, before anyone was watching. He has attacked fans and/or civilians on at least two occasions. He has made "ha-ha-" jokes about rape and about whipping his black players. He's not someone standing athwart the permissive society or whatever the hell trope it is now that gets the cultural-warriors through the night. He's a sociopath, and he will do something worse.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

There's a difference between a disciplinarian and a bully. Knight's a bully.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

probably a warning at most

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Why wouldn't ESPN want him to break the record? They must have a pretty good relationship with Knight, seeing as how they did that reality show with him last year.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Believe me, I am not an apologist for Mr. Knight, nor his defender, but the tape I saw didn't indicate anything horrible. My old high school football coach did more than that, grabbing our helmets and making sure we looked him in the eye as he talked to us. There are many things you can rip Knight for, but this was merely a blip on the resume. Not that big of a deal.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Had the kid looked him in the eyes, Knight wouldn't have needed to do what he did. What's the difference between this, and slapping a kid's ass after he's done something great? He's the General. And what do generals do? By god, they get results.

12. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

Call me the minority, but I would certainly feel comfortable sending my son to college to play basketball for Bob Knight. I say that, and the No. 1 reason why is that he teaches respect. With that being said, he has done a ton of disrespectful things himself. I guess I'm 50/50 on him, but I don't think he's a monster or bully. I think he has a temper issue, no more, not less.

Draft saved Draft deleted