1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Knight appears to be slipping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 6, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He has had an open invitation to come to Assembly Hall for one final night of adoration, and I hope he gets it as soon as possible next season. Not defending him in any way (when I was a student at IU he refused to talk to us at the student paper because of a years-old grudge, which was sad), but he's still revered in many corners of the state. He won titles, demanded kids go to class and graduate and did a lot of very good things quietly, as has been mentioned. Of course that doesn't excuse Neil Reed and the sexism and so much more, but as we know, fans can compartmentalize pretty well.

I'm an IU basketball season-ticket holder and wondered what I'd do if there was a Knight night. Probably let someone from rural southern Indiana who worships the guy pay me five times face value.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /would be on board

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If John Feinstein had written "Season on the Brink" about Dean Smith (to pick a random example), it would've sold about 12 copies. That's what I mean about how I the journalist appreciate Knight. I knew he was a deeply fucked up person. So what? I wasn't married to him or worked for him. My job was to show him, and he always, being an egomaniac, cooperated.

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Honestly? Society doesn't really expect that. People treat people like shit - as bad as Knight treated anyone and worse - all the time, and not only get away with it, but are celebrated for it. Hell, Scientology, for example.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Scientology is celebrated?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Tom cruise and Elizabeth Moss get a lot of jobs, last I checked.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And that's because they're Scientologists?

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It’s the golden rule, man.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Pick a better random coach, please. Down in this corner of the world, it would have flown off the shelves.

And it wouldn't have ever happened. Dean would not ever drop the fact that Feinstein went to Duke.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What did Knight do for Delray Brooks? I am not doubting you, just curious. I remember watching Brooks play in high school.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What is the actual attendance at the IU games. I am an alum and back in the day Assembly Hall was packed if school was in session. I know that the average attendance is now announced at about 15,000 a game. But I read the school paper website and they make allusions to attendance being padded.

Draft saved Draft deleted