1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Johnson slam dunks Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, it's nice to see 'yab is looking out for black popular culture with his usual nuanced racial attitudes.
    Two things -- this really isn't as big a deal as it sounds, although the media loves black-on-black argument. . Makes them feel balanced. Johnson's influence generally -- HIS influence, not his former network's -- is pretty slim. MacGruder's not the only one who's taken him onSecond -- my customary demurral -- come on, zeke. Barack put his drug use on the table. It's going to come up.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/11/AR2008011102000.html?hpid=opinionsbox1
    Interesting read, if you haven't already done so. There does seem to be a real dislike of Obama by the usual suspects aka self appointed black leaders. Maybe, like Bill Clinton's phony Sista Soulja routine, this is all a con. After all, Al Sharpton, Andrew Young and Jesse Jackson are more likely to cost Obama more votes than they can generate.

3. 'yab, thank you for your continuing concern about the place of African Americans in our national life. I'm sure your opinion of the "Sister Souljah" moment was exactly the same in '92.
    Cobb's piece is interesting.

4. heyabbott

Come one, what rational and mildly intelligent person didn't understand what Bill's Sista Soulja moment was all about. It was the definition of Bill Clinton's national political existence.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The problem with the age divide is, the older voters are the ones who historically vote in greater numbers — and the older black voters will go for Hillary.

I'll believe the "youth wave" when I see it in a primary. It's easier to skew the demographic in a caucus (like Iowa), where the turnout is low.

6. heyabbott

On the one hand, it is somewhat refreshing that Sen. Clinton is getting the African American support she seems to garner. That there isn't a knee jerk reaction that says a black needs to vote for a black. Which contradicts Gloria Steinem's recent rant that she's supporting Hillary because she's a women. On the other hand, anyone who gives anything to any Clinton must understand that she'll do anything for you, as long as it is in her interest to do so and she was going to do it any way. Obama seems the more genuine and honest politician.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Gee, Obama doesn't think he needs to kiss antique ass to win.

Sweet.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Gee, thanks for slamming us here in Iowa. The turnout low? If damn near 500,000 showed up for a caucus, that's pretty good, compared to 1/2 that in '04.

I have to go with Fen on this one (which is a suprise) about Johnson. He has as much pull as a goat has with a Sherpa. Johnson has been in the Clinton's backpocket for a long ass time.

Turning this into a race war with South Carolina is comical, but not surprising. I did, however, had a problem with Mrs. Obama saying "ain't no black people in Iowa" comment at the Trumpet Awards show recently. What? 51,000 African-American Iowans wasn't enough for her taste? This ain't Chicago, sweetheart, and you know that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Slam dunk? I'd say it's more akin to not getting the tipoff.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, imagine that. "I inhaled. That was the point."

Those who smoke from glass pipes...

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One of the great ironies of the Clinton years- Very few blacks appointed to real positions of power - Cabinet level positions.

the first black secretary of State - A Bush appointee.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Whoever called Condi a "talented amateur" was dead-on.

Cronyism over seasoned experience. A Fredo hallmark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.