1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Grant died

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I hate to speak ill of the dead, but this guy sounded like he was a real piece of shit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/nyregion/bob-grant-a-pioneer-of-right-wing-talk-radio-dies-at-84.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I would love to see someone do a count of how often the term "left-wing" appears in the New York Times vs. how often "right-wing" does.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes starting a thread about some wingnut radio guy.

Meet the new year. Same as the old year.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"This guy"? Had you never heard of Bob Grant?

And, what makes him a piece of shit? You formed this opinion based on this obit?

You're a real piece of work.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The guy was a pioneer in talk radio and deserves more respect at least
    for the 3 day SJ mourning period.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Me too but, in general, I'd like to get a figure of how often in the media "conservative" is used to describe someone compared to "liberal."

And, as previously stated above, Bob Grant was a pioneer in his genre. RIP.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

" “You can talk all you want about ‘minorities’ rights,’ but heaven forbid you talk about white rights,” he said on WABC in 1989. “I see a very bleak future for this country, simply because the quality of the citizenry seems to be heading down.”

The country was being overrun, he said in 1991, by “millions of subhumanoids, savages, who really would feel more at home careening along the sands of the Kalahari or the dry deserts of eastern Kenya.”

In a May 1993 broadcast, Mr. Grant referred to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as “that slimeball” and “this bum, this womanizer, this liar, this fake, this phony.” "

That's not a piece of shit? Can any of those comments be defended?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I always get very excited about the deaths of people I've never heard of until I read their obit.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Well, at least we know who Michael Savage ripped off.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I had heard of him and listened to him a few times. I'm qualified to say that he was a racist piece of shit. And the fact I learned in the obit that politicians whom I voted for like Giuliani and Pataki courted him lessens them in my eyes.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Subhumanoids" - who was this guy, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan??

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

King was a womanizer/

Draft saved Draft deleted