1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Board History Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr7134, Sep 30, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All over YouTube, probably debating a jar of Ragu.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Scoreboard!

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think you're referring to NewsMait (the Mait stood for My Aim Is True), and it was a fun site to read in the late 90s.

Anonymous posters would write about what went on in their newsrooms, both good, and, more typically, the bad and ugly. Some of the stuff was really good to read. I still remember one poster calling his editor "Little Hitler", multiple times.

You're right in terms of the guy shutting it down because of pressure from his paper, although he claimed he didn't have time to keep moderating the site. There was a pretty big uproar at the site's peak, because the web was in its infancy and papers weren't used to getting anonymously ripped on by their employees.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Thanks, Baron. And you're right, I was thinking of NewsMait.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Padding.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

A classic old board moment was the "Ever pay for it on the road?" thread.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There were user names on sportspages.com. I was Lynn Dickey's Iron Peg Leg or some such thing. Only posted a few times, disappeared, forgot SJ existed, and the re-discovered it in 2004 when looking to move on to a new job.

I didn't realize sportspages still sort of exists as USSportspages. Same concept with far less anarchy.

It's hard to convey how anarchic the sportspages forums were. Makes the moderator spats we get here seem like child's play.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry I missed that one. That sounds entertaining.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wasn't there an epic Marriott points thread too?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wasn't it on sportspages where two guys were going to meet each other at Penn Station for a fight? I think someone was going to sell tickets.

Draft saved Draft deleted