1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bo knows and the Greatest of All Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Feb 9, 2014.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When did James ever average 3.2 per game in a season? Or 2.9?

You can have James. Give me Jordan.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You realize that, of all the stats in basketball, "steals" is among the emptiest, or at very least, much less of a gauge on actual performance than just about anything else?

Also, let's add that while Jordan averaged more points per game, both he and James are about equal as shooters, with James being slightly better from beyond the arc. James is also the better rebounder and "floor general," and is by far the less selfish player of the two.

James has the choke jobs in the playoffs, there's no doubt about that. But, he physically can do anything Jordan did, and is two inches taller and 50 pounds heavier.

James can play all five positions. Jordan couldn't.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Steals. That's what you're going on. Steals.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well, championships are not allowed, I guess.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Agree totally. But many (not yourself) throw about the "Bo was a great baseball player" line with impunity, when in reality he was average, trending toward above-average, when he got hurt, and was below average as a fielder (.962 career FA for a CORNER OUTFIELDER? That's criminal).

Now, coming back and playing with an artificial hip, that was incredible. I certainly will give him that.

6. MisterCreosote

You're going to have to do better than "Because championships and steals" to convince me.

For the record, here's the Cavs team LeBron carried to the Finals in 2007. I have a hard time believing Jordan could've done the same AT 22 YEARS OLD:

Shannon Brown
    Daniel Gibson
    Drew Gooden
    Larry Hughes
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    Damon Jones
    Dwayne Jones
    Donyell Marshall
    Ira Newble
    Sasha Pavlovic
    Scot Pollard
    Eric Snow
    Anderson Varejao
    David Wesley

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Never forget, Devil had James traded a month into his Heat days.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Bo was never a consistent baseball player, but he did things that I'd never seen before or since. Plays where his freak athleticism took over. You could see that the tools were there. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have been a very good-great baseball player had he focused on that sport like Brian Jordan.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

At four years into his pro career. By Jordan's fourth year, he had won an NCAA championship and an Olympic Gold Medal, where he lead the team in scoring, and in his fourth NBA season, he was the MVP and Defensive Player of the Year.

There's no question Jordan was the dominant player of his generation and had a lifetime defining Nike ad campaign.

Lebron is the next generation and still has another decade of games in him. I'd like to see what he does with them before knocking Jordan out of the GOAT.

10. MisterCreosote

Jay, point taken about the college and international careers.

I'm just flabbergasted at the blinders some people have on, as if Jordan is the ideal that is absolutely unattainable for anyone else. He was the greatest of all time.

But Kobe was a top-5 all time talent too, and LeBron has already surpassed Jordan as a player, just not in accolades yet. But some people refuse to see it.

As a comparison, here's the team Jordan had in his fourth year in the NBA, in which the Bulls won 50 games and one playoff series:

Mike Brown
    Dave Corzine
    Artis Gilmore
    Horace Grant
    Charles Oakley
    John Paxson
    Scottie Pippen
    Brad Sellers
    Rory Sparrow
    Sedale Threatt
    Elston Turner
    Sam Vincent
    Granville Waiters
    Tony White

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Granville Waiters. Never forget Granville Waiters.

[​IMG]

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The competition in the East was a hell of a lot better for those Bulls teams. The east was god awful for those Cavs teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted